SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Does this sound like a Hard Drive problem or a virus?

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cosrocket
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 258 times

cosrocket

My sister has a 3 year old Dell laptop running Windows 7 64 bit. She said t’s been running extremely slowly for a while so I went over to check it out. It boots up quickly, but when I click on a program to open it nothing happens for a long time, then eventually it will open but crash. The start menu crashes continuously. I ran a Norton scan and nothing was found. I then ran a Malwarebyte’s scan and it found just one issue but it was a rogue which I removed. I then rebooted and went into the startup folder and disabled anything unnecessary, there wasn't too much to disable.Then I attempted to go into Add/Remove Programs to delete any unnecessary programs but there it was going extremely slowly. It would take a good 15 to 20 minutes or so to remove just one program.

My question is, does this sound like a hard drive issue or a virus? She can do a reformat to see if that helps, but it seems to me with what I was experiencing it might be a hard drive issue, even though there was no message to that effect. Considering it was pretty clean and there was little to disable in the startup folder it just seems strange to be running so slowly due to a software issue. Also I ran it in safe mode and it was much better, and I once had a PC that had a dying HD and it ran better in safe mode than in normal Windows

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Check to see if it has the same problem in Safe mode.

Posted 1 year ago

cosrocket

It ran much better in safe mode. That's the thing...I once had a PC of my own that had a dying HD and it ran ok in safe mode but extremely slow in normal windows. That's why I am even bringing up the possibility of it being a HD issue. Just considering there was barely anything on her laptop other than a single rogue which I removed, very little to disable in startup, and how long it was taking to uninstall programs and the continuous windows explorer crashing made me think it is more a HD problem than anything software wise.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Open up a cmd prompt (as Admin) and type chkdsk /f restart the machine and allow it to check the drive.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Run a cmd.exe and type in chkdsk c: {enter}. Answer y to do it at restart. restart. watch for disk errors if any.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Do she or you see a lot of activity from the HDD light?
Being a laptop, could have gotten banged. Have a look and make sure the ram is seated good.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!