SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - Does this PSU have all the wires I need?

(52 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Assassin2050
  • Latest reply from Assassin2050
  • Topic Viewed 2823 times

Assassin2050

I recently put a post about if the PSU can use 2 seperate 6 pins from different pairs on 1 EVGA Superclocked GTX 570. Now I wanna check with the geeks if It also has wires for these other parts (Besides the 2 6 pins for the GPU) :

1 DVD/CD Drive
1 HDD
1 SDD
1 MOBO
3 Case fans
...Pretty much it besides the GPU and its obv it has for the Mobo..just not too sure about maybe the DVD drive and the 2 storage devices... Thanks!

Link:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/P.....llFullInfo

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Has (6) SATA connectors for the Drives and DVDs.

The PSU will work for your Build.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

You should have enough cables. That PSU has two SATA power cables with three SATA power connectors on each cable. You need one SATA power connector each for the DVD/CD drive, the HDD, and the SSD (unless you are runnung legcy equipment that use four pin Molex connectors) so you have plenty of cables/connectors.

It has one peripheral cable that has 4 four pin Molex connectors and a floppy connector on the end. Each one of the Molex connectors can be used to run a case fan (the MOBO also often has ports for running the fans that are often speed controlled according to temperature). You will probably need adapters to go from three or four pin fan connectors to the Molex connectors (some fans have Molex connectors instead of three or four pin connectors). If you are running legacy drives that use Molex power connectors, you can use a "Y" adapter to power two devices from one Molex connector. You will not need the floppy connector unless using a legacy drive that needs one.

The PSU has both a 24 pin MOBO connector that can be split to work with a 20 pin socket, if needed, and an eight pin ATX connector that also can be split in case the MOBO uses a four pin connector.

Edit: I was watching TV while writing this so Rick posted before I finished.

Posted 2 years ago

Assassin2050

Thank you very much too all for the information :) (For some reason I still dont feel 100% sure about the GPU. It needs 2 6pins for power, but that PSU has 2 pairs of 6+2, GR1M said I can leave the 2 hanging and use them seperatly :) ) Theres no space for risk, I need everything to be perfect 101%.

~Closed

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

GR1M is correct, you can leave the two hanging. You can cut them off if it really bothers you but I would suggest not doing so in case you ever upgrade to a card that does need them.

Posted 2 years ago

Assassin2050

LadyFitzgerald Thank you for confirming :) I feel more comfortable And sure now. So know im sure that all the parts fit, are good, and have the correct wires. Great!

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Just keep in mind you may need adapters between the devices and the cable connectors, especially the fans (some fans come with the adapters).

Posted 2 years ago

Assassin2050

I'm very sorry for bugging you guys but once again I changed my mind...I found another PSU with a GOLD Award and it seems better than the Corsair one:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/P.....6817341017

So I checked the specs and should be good for
-1 Mobo
-2 x6 pins for GPU
-1 HDD and 1 SSD and 1 DVD/CD Drive

Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm right...right? And what would you guys recommend, that old Corrsair or this one? I want good quality (Not the best or luxury or anything) And at least 3 to 5 years of Usage... Thanks

Alex

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Assassin2050,

What is your budget ????

Why are you hung up on a 600 Watt PSU only ????

This should solve any problems you may run into now and in the future.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817139010

Give me a link to your computer case please.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

PICTURES
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817139010

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Posted 2 years ago

Assassin2050

Well..Long story, For the PSU for budget I need it to be from probably from 65-85$ (Those prices AFTER sale or rebates so before those it will be probably around 100 something....Any way the Case is a Cooler Master Elite 430! These parts I might be getting soon im building a gaming pc, With ALL the parts (Windows 7 too) It needs to be around 1.4 K , after all the sales and rebates with ALL the parts including Tax around 1.2k. So at the most last moment its basicly 1.2k after lots of price changes :P Here are all the parts:

-Cooler master Elite 430
-Intel i5 3570k (3.4Ghz)
-Gigabye Z77M-D3H-MVP (Mobo)
-Kingston Hyper X SSD 120GB
-WD Blue 500GB HDD 32MB Cache
-Asus DVD/CD Burner
-G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB Ram (2x4)
-MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 570 ( Not sure between the MSI Frozer GTX 570 and the EVGA gtx 570...frozer has better cooling and cheaper)
-Not 100% sure on the PSU Yet.

I got most of those parts from motherboardsorg, a reccomended gaming build for around 950$ But I added and changed some stuff alittle....

Posted 2 years ago

Assassin2050

All from Newegg.CA not .com im in Canada...So I need alitlte help with the Right PSU for what stuff I have and a good price from newegg...and the vid card Im not sure whats better between MSI and EVGA probably MSI..

~Alex

Posted 2 years ago

Assassin2050

...That power supply is more than I need and is like 144 after saving 25, ...So, like I said around 70-85$ after saving.. :) Thanks Sorry For the major SPAM on the forums but I need lots of help and have lots of questions im learning things :)

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

The Corsair you linked has a five year warranty; the OCZ is warrantied for only three years. The Corsair Rick linked has a seven year warranty. Granted, a semi-modular PSU will result in a case that's a bit less cluttered since you will only put in the cables you need but, if limited to a certain price range, I wouldn't give up 2/5 of a warranty to gain the modular cables, especially since you will be eliminating only one cable. It's not that difficult to tuck away any unused cables unless you are working with a really cramped case, especially if it's only one cable.

Btw, it never hurts to have more PSU than you need. A lightly loaded PSU will run cooler, both improving life of the PSU and making it a bit easier to keep the rest of the computer cooler.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

No problem at all. :) :)

Your post is for Help and is NOT spam. :)

I'll switch to http://newegg.ca and start looking up parts there.

This will carry forward to tomorrow so just stay on this topic thread.

EDIT:

After looking up the components listing, I cannot in good faith advise upon this Build.

@LF or Someone, Please take this topic.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

BUMP TO TOP

Posted 2 years ago

Assassin2050

?..What do you mean? Im very happy with what kind of results I can get for around those prices, I get over 35 fps on ULTRA bf3 1980x1080 from what Ive researched the last month...Im pretty much quit perfect with the parts but still alittle twichy with that PSU...I dont know it seems so good and perfect but the price..I might squish it in there somehow..And the GPU is good and has 2 fans instead of the EVGA with 1, but its 10'' something..will it fit in the Elite 430 case without bumbing into wires or the thing in the front slots? (HDD,SSD,DVD)

Thanks Il keep in touch

~Alex

Posted 2 years ago

Assassin2050

I dont think the 750W PSU Rick metioned will fit...its 5.9 on the lenght if you were to look from the side were you would plug the power in, but from Cooler master, It says on the back of the case 5.4''....Not sure I need a ton of correction probably..

(http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=19&product_id=2989)

Posted 2 years ago

Assassin2050

Update: My bad the letters are very small, 6.4'' ;D

Posted 2 years ago

Assassin2050

Last thing, This ram seems alittle...not so low profile...will it get stuck or sortof squished with the CPU Cooler? Or just a normal fit...

Ram: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/P.....6820231445

CPU Heatsink: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/P.....6835103065

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.