SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Does thermal paste lose its efficacy over time?

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Lighthouse
  • Latest reply from tviderman
  • Topic Viewed 929 times

Lighthouse

Just that. I have a friend who has an old (5-7 years) laptop that works OK in winter, but not in summer.
Overheating obviously. So would remaking the heatsink work?

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

I've never heard of thermal paste breaking down, but who knows what they were using back then (I assume we are talking about a stock cooler). As they say, it can't hurt to replace the paste and give the heatsink a good cleaning in the process. I have found that about 99.999% of the time it's actually dust getting in between the fins of the heatsink, and dust is not really all that good at heat conduction.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Thanks for that Budo. For sure, it's not a dust problem. (I've seen the inside of that laptop more times than I can count) :)

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

That is quite old... have you tried greasing the wooden donkey wheel?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

This is France!!!!!

Posted 6 years ago

tviderman

I agree with dust being the major problem. However, if the computer doesn't just sit around, I've actually had the connection with the thermal paste go bad. I reapplied and my experienced must better temperature. Its also worth noting that the thermal paste had actually dried in most places. I had figured it was due to the constant moving (I take it to school daily) but the lappy was also 3 years old so it may go bad after time. Let us know if you see an improvement after reapplying : )

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.