The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Does hesitation mean "need more ram"

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by bobnoell
  • Latest reply from bobnoell
  • Topic Viewed 747 times

bobnoell

I know that you can never get enough ram. I have a laptop with Vista home premium, and only 1 gig or ram. When I make a procedure change in a program, it hesitates 1 second, before proceeding. My other laptop with XP, and same amount of ram, and program, does not hesitate. Is this an OS compatible problem with the program, or do I need more ram for the Vista to react faster. Please help, Bob

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

For Vista to run properly you should have at least 2GB of RAM (3GB is even better). XP is a completely different animal. What you experience is probably a lot of page traffic of the paging file. If you have a fast 2GB USB stick, plug this in and use it as Ready Boost device (Speed up your System in Autoplay). That may improve the response time a little.

Posted 5 years ago

bobnoell

Thank you, I am trying to make Vista a happy experience, but it's a little bit hard. Thanks again, I will pump up the ram !!!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Vista is a good system. But it requires proper system resources. At $44 for 2GB of RAM, that should not be a bottleneck. But if you try to haul 2 tons with a halfton truck, you are liable to get some problems.

Posted 5 years ago

bobnoell

Thank you !!! I'm getting out my blow torch, and my extra ram now !!! Thanks again, I Do APPRECIATE THE HELP !!!!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!