SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - Does dell latitude D610 motherboard have EIDE support?

(14 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by JamesTKirk
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 1528 times

JamesTKirk

Hi Cybertechs,

Does dell latitude D610 motherboard have EIDE support?

I just now heard about EIDE.
As far as I knew there was only IDE.
But just recently, I heard that there are now 2 types of hd's: SATA
And then again, now I see there are 3!!!
My gosh, how many different types of hardware are they going to keep coming out with?
Why not just stick to the same one [IDE]? It would make things a whole lot easier!!!!!!!

The Interface is DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra), but it says that it has an EIDE connection.

Is the EIDE physically the same as IDE?

Do they look exactly the same?

Is there a plastic peice around the EIDE so that I might not be able to put a 7 pin adapter on it, or the other one?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Going to Dell.com under the drivers for the Latitude D610 you will see dirvers for IDE/EIDE and none for SATA which should answer your question.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk

Xhi,
So if you get the drivers, do you still have to have a PCI card to get the enhanced performance of the EIDE?

Will EIDE physically prevent me from being able to use the 7 pin adapter for the Dell?
Note: The EIDE drive has metal brackets at the end, where the IDE pins are sunken in and are not flat on the top like most hd's I've seen.

If it looks like this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q.....s:51,i:290

are you able to use it with a 7 pin adapter and physically be able to put it in the Dell internally?

Captain Kirk

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Have no idea what you are talking about. Any PATA/IDE/EIDE drives I have ever seen have 40-pin connectors. Not 7.

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk

Xhi,

Look at this link and then please get back to me on the anwer to this question:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q.....s:42,i:219

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

If that is what you are talking about that is not a 7 pin connector That is a 40 pin connector It is standard and if you did not lose it you should already have one in the laptop to begin with. It simply extends the pins so that they plug into the the laptop's receptacle. It's just a very, very short cable.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

That is the 44 pin optical drive (ATAPI) to IDE adaptor you linked to in your other thread.

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk

Xhi,
The NAME of the adapter is a "7 pin adapter". Yes it FITS into a 40 pin. And no, it does not have a cable. How do I know? Because I did not "lose" it -- I still have it. This is the adapter that I need for an IDE hd to use internally with my laptop. That is why I need to know if a hd has the 40 IDE pins available for me to be able to plug this adapter into.

Example:
1> If there is something in the way, like a plastic peice around the IDE pins on the hd that you cannot take off
2> If the IDE pins are recessed
3> If there are metal brackets on the end of the hd
4> If there is some other hd type that I do not know about that may prevent from from being able to attach this "7 pin adapter" to it

NOTE
If I cannot attach this "7 pin adapter", then I will not be able to use the hd in my laptop as an inernal drive.

LH,
Not sure, I gave you one solid link AND one picture link.
Anyways, maybe one of them did not turn out.
In any case, the adapter that I have fits onto a 2.5" 40 pin and looks like what you see in the picture.

Captain Kirk

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Where did you get the name 7-pin adapter? It makes no sense. I google 7 pin adapter and i get no such computer part. The adapter, whatever it is called, fits every IDE 2.5" disk drive I have ever replaced in a laptop. If it is a 2.5" IDE drive the adapter will fit.

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk

Xhi,
Try googling:
"Dell Latitude D610 7 pin adapter"

And the very FIRST item on the list "is" this device.

But before you come to a conlusion about "all" 2.5" adapters --

Note the male card side:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q.....253D/%2524(KGrHqR,!qoE88ffVBP%252BBP(,1nYqow~~60_35.JPG&w=300&h=300&ei=IRcfUI3AE-r6igKunYC4Cw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=555&vpy=203&dur=1570&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=134&ty=175&sig=107926121907446402722&page=1&tbnh=171&tbnw=179&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:94

Now look at the ALL ide adapter on this one. Female side:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q.....253D/%2524(KGrHqR,!qoE88ffVBP%252BBP(,1nYqow~~60_35.JPG&w=300&h=300&ei=IRcfUI3AE-r6igKunYC4Cw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=555&vpy=203&dur=1570&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=134&ty=175&sig=107926121907446402722&page=1&tbnh=171&tbnw=179&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:94

Anyways, enough with technicalities,
will the adapter, whatever name you want to call it ["Dell Latitude D610 Hard Drive adapter"],
fit on these types of hd's:

DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra),
ATA/ATAPI-6
WD1200VE Scorpio Blue Western Digital

Captain Kirk

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

S-video TV-out

7-pin mini-DIN connector (optional S-video to composite video adapter cable)

has nothing to do with a disk drive.

Again if they are IDE 2.5" they will fit!!!

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Laptop Hard Drive Caddy with Screw for Dell Latitude D610
http://www.tmart.com/Hard-Driv.....gn=product

Compatible With Dell Latitude D610 XPS
http://stores.nextag.com/store.....00-4200RPM

Posted 2 years ago

oldgeezer

In answer to the OP's original question EIDE stands for 'Enhanced IDE'. it runs fater than the original IDE drives (which were also labelled as ATA33 and ATA66). EIDE drives are labelled as ATA100 and ATA133.

The reason you have adapters in the caddies that laptops use is that many of them are fitted by pushing them in at an angle to seat the connector. Doing this directly to the drive connector would bend the pins so the adapter allows for easy insertion.

The caddy will work with the drive mentioned and with ATA-100 but ATAPI isn't used on harddrives so the problem won't occur.

Incidentally, doing a Google for "Dell Latitude D610 7 pin adapter" just brings up the other times and forums on which the OP has asked the question..........

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

were we surprised?

Nope

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.