SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Does anyone else check the Suggestions forum?

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jd2066
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 2159 times

jd2066
jd2066

I've noticed it seems like whenever a new topic appears in the Suggestions forum no else besides me responds.
I ask as the topic at http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....9040n-help is in the Suggestions forum and I'm the only one who replied to it.
So I'm wondering if I'm the only one checking the forum or if it's just that no one else knows the answer to the questions in that topic.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i basicly look at what is on the main forum page and the OT so i read all of them and if i have time to look up the ones i don't know then i will post or if i know then obviosly i will help ;)

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Since the posts show up on the front page, I have to imagine that those posts end up being less easy to respond to for some reason. Also there's the fact that half of the posts in there really shouldn't be in there at all, like the one you mentioned which I moved into the Vista forum where it belongs.

The forum was mostly there for people to submit suggestions, but it seems like the use of it is unclear to most people.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jd, you are right. I for my part rarely check it. Mea culpa. Maybe one should. There is good stuff.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

It does seem unclear to most people.
I think part of the problem is that the new topic page has a list of forums without descriptions so unless you scroll to the bottom of the home page you won't know what the forum is for.
I think it might help if the new post page had radio buttons listing the forums descriptions instead of a select box.
On which I think no radio button should be selected by default to stop all the posts going into the Vista forum with people who didn't check the forum they were posting too.

Edit:
Also I think that maybe the Suggestions forum should just be removed as it isn't used that much at all and any suggestions should go to the Off Topic forum instead.
Not sure how people wanting to post HTG suggestions would figure that out though.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I absolutely agree that we need to do some reorganization of the forums in the list. I like the idea of having a suggestions forum, but it just needs to be more clear what it's for.

I also think that it might work out well to simply remove it from the drop-down list, since people posting via the front page new topic button are likely to be asking for help instead of posting suggestions.

There's a bunch of usability enhancements that need to be done to the entire site... there's actually a lot of work going on behind the scenes to get HTG 2.0 ready for prime-time.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

That is a good idea too. You may also want to remove the Off Topic forum from the new topic menu too.
Glad to hear work is happening. I'm looking forward to HTG 2.0.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Geek and jd, and please remember that people do not like change. Make sure we keep the "Corporate style" i.e. simple and easy to use.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

That's really the goal of HTG 2.0, I want to make the entire site simpler to navigate as a whole, so everything will be more integrated together.

I tend to roll things out in stages, small changes over time.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

That sounds good.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

maybe make it so you have to pick a topic and not just have the default vista and removing some from the front page would help keep them more in the right forum space :]

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!