The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Documents and My documents

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Tom
  • Latest reply from Tom
  • Topic Viewed 8445 times

Tom

I hope someone can help me understand the difference between the two folders I have in windows 7. They both have the exact same folders and files in them. Why do I need both, if I do? It seems to me that I am using up
double the disk space. Maybe that's not the case, I don't know. But anyway why can't I just delete one of them?
What's the difference in these folders?

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

You have to try to understand the concept of libraries which was implemented in Win7. Here is an article that may help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-u.....61346.aspx

Posted 4 years ago

Tom

whs,I think I'll need to read this a couple of times and hopefully it will help. My first read really didn't get me to the answer of the two folders. But thanks for your help.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

You might be talking about 'junctions'. Started with Vista when MS decided to drop 'My' from some folders like Documents. 'My Documents' became 'Documents'. However, this could mess up programs that were going to either READ or STORE files in MY DOCUMENTS. If the folder wasn't there they'd fail. So 'junctions' were 'invented'. That has been done so when you (or a program) tries to access 'MY DOCUMENTS' it is redirected to 'DOCUMENTS'. See HERE for more info. Also, note that in Win7 the 'MY ' is added back in with Explorer.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Tom

OK, Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Tom, I am sorry if I pointed you to an explanation that is too hard to understand. Let me try to explain it in simple terms. In win7, Documents, Pictures, Music, etc. are not really folders in the Vista sense. They are and index of folders that can reside anywhere in the system or even on a network drive, etc. They are the index like the library index in your local library that are not the actual books either - just a pointer to the books. MyDocuments, My Music, etc. are the actual folders where you store your files and to which the library points.
I hope that makes it a little clearer. It is a little hard to understan as long as you have only one data folder (e.g. MyDocuments) in the library, but once you have a whole collection, it makes more sense.

Posted 4 years ago

Tom

whs. Thanks, I think I got the picture now. At first it just a bit confusing. I'm a little slow with some of this stuff.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!