How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) Docks for Windows

(11 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 4583 times

jmcguire
jmcguire

I am looking for the most light-weight Windows dock that will allow multiple docks.

The ones I know of are Object Dock, Rocket Dock, RK Launcher, Y'z Dock, Nexus Dock.

I don't really know which is the most light-weight though. I don't need fancy features, just a basic dock.

Thanks!

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Why don't you do the following:

1. Create a new folder on the desktop - let's call it "Dock"
2. move all the shortcuts you want into this folder (programs, folders, webpages, etc.)
3. push that folder all the way to the top of the screen - real tight - and release it. Now you'll see a new dock. You may have to try pushing it a few times.
4. right click on the dock and make the settings. I like the "hide" function. Then it is not in the way and only appears when you move the cursor to the top.
5. the "Dock" folder will stay on the desktop as repository. Whatever you add or delete from it, will be reflected in the dock.
6. at the end it looks like this: (mine is called "Toolbar")

Posted 4 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

That may actually be the perfect solution. Why I didn't think of that, I have no idea.

Thanks whs!

I will let you know how it does.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

You are welcome Josh. It works perfectly for me. I use that in addition to the AppLauncher in the sidebar. You might want to try that too. In case you do not find the installation .exe, I have uploaded it to this Skydrive page.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Why Windows XP forum? The technique that whs mentions is Vista only, as is the sidebar.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, the dock technique on top of the screen works in XP too. I have tried that. For the sidebar simulators in XP I am not 100% certain on it's capabilities though.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs, you are correct. For some reason I though that docking a folder was a new feature to Vista. Oddly, it's missing from Windows 7.

Posted 4 years ago

Scott
Scott

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, you are right. No idea why they would have left it out of W7. That was one of my immediate complaints about W7 together with the absence of the Quick Launch. One reason I am not 100% convinced of W7. I use those functions a lot.

Posted 4 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

@whs
The toolbar you mentioned works great for me!

Thanks!

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Josh, You are welcome.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!