SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Do we need an age restricted Off Topic forum?

(80 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jd2066
  • Latest reply from xenomex
  • Topic Viewed 8173 times

jd2066
jd2066

I've noticed there are a couple topics so far that aren't quite appropriate for younger users.
I'm not sure if there are any younger users on the forum or how many topics that aren't appropriate we well have in the future.
I decided to start a new topic now to ask about this.
What do you think?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Well, I know of a 12 year old and a 14 year old that were on the Forum - and probably some where we don't know. So the subject is appropriate. I think we should stay within the confines of a "G" rating.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

The most offensive thread posted this week was by a 12 y/o know it all.

It is my sworn duty to protect the integrity of this site. Other posts that mention nationalistic stereotypes can be construed as offensive but are not censored. I agree the OT shouldn't be a 'free for all' but humor is subjective and my opinion is that while this new forum is in it's growing, novelty stage, there will be innuendo of varying degrees.

It seems that the OT is a popular idea and if a post or two toes the G/PG line it's not the end of the world.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

this is what i think on it

umm...that it is okay every once in a while as long as it doesn't get out of hand

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I personally didn't find the OT forum posts so far to be offensive (for instance Mandy asked me if it was alright to post that one link in off-topic, and I said no problem) The level of innuendo so far is less than the typical teenage MySpace profile.

From a legal perspective, we've done nothing to require an age restriction. That type of thing implies birthday suits or very explicit language... you know, the kind of stuff kids get from TV and music already.

From a site owner perspective, I'm not going to run a site that has an age restricted forum... that just gives off the wrong idea. I'd be more likely to abandon the whole OT forum rather than do that.

All that said, we do realize that it's a family site, and we're not going to allow anything really inappropriate to go on, or allow the focus of the forum to be solely innuendo... we're Geeks, there should be primarily GEEK related content. Perhaps we'll be a little more careful with what is allowed in the future.

Rule of Thumb for Members: It's a bad idea to talk about Race, Sex, Religion or Politics, because Somebody will be offended Somewhere and then write letters to the FCC about the half-time performance.

Finally, For the love of FSM, please just email me if you have a site policy question, and let's have some faith in the geeks behind the curtain. We're not perfect, but we are keeping an eye on everything. We've managed to turn this into one of the best sites around, and we're not going to sit idly by and let it destroy itself, so you shouldn't worry.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

You are right. I should have "faith in the geeks behind the curtain".
You have managed to make a great site thus far.
After reading Scott's post and your post I think I didn't need to make this topic.
I guess that is how it goes. I can't change that now without a time machine :)

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

No worries, and I do appreciate that you all care about the site, and you guys are all the reason this forum has been successful, so everything is all good =)

p.s. - if you do invent a time machine, I could really use it.

Posted 6 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

All geeks, I am thrilled that you have enough integrity to raise the issue of content! So many web sites couldn't care less much less police themselves. I chose this site as my first forum because of the integrity and serious minded people involved. I feel comfortable recommending this site to the little ones if they need computer guidance. whs is right: Please keep the "G" rating! JD, you did need to make this topic, content is very important and ethical standards need to apply to any reputable web site.

FAITH IN THE GEEKS BEHIND THE CURTAIN:)

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Well granny, we are very happy to have you around as well =)

I definitely want to keep things with a "G" rating. Does G stand for Geek? :-P

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Geek, you are now following me and writing the :P smiley!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I think we are like "kids with a new toy" at the moment. I'm sure it will self regulate.
@The Geek. I did build a time machine once. But not for another 25 years.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

who are the "Geeks behind the curtain"? This is a good and useful discussion. Nothing is more dangerous than a slippery slope. You get into trouble before you know it.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I think thats' the one's in charge whs.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@whs:

That's a reference to the movie The Wizard of Oz, referring to the people running things behind the scenes.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks guys. I figured something like that but was not sure.

Posted 6 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Aleeve, I'm not following with the :P smiley and it's driving me nuts! What gives?

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@granny:

:-P is a smiley with the tongue sticking out, basically a way of saying that you are being silly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.....n_examples

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

Silly is a good thing

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

:P

sorry tech granny!
it is also used as a way of saying 'haha' or 'lol' as well

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

or it can be used if you like having your tongue out all the time

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.