SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Do we need an age restricted Off Topic forum?

(80 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jd2066
  • Latest reply from xenomex
  • Topic Viewed 8173 times

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

China is worse, in as much as it is building unregulated coal fire power stations at a horrific rate (something like 1 every 2 weeks last time I looked).

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

China has the best Moo Shu Pork though.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

So maybe one day we won't see the sun anymore. We better enjoy it whilst it still shines.
PS. I read, that they are getting some German technology to filter the Coal Power plants.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Maybe looking for Carbon Credits....

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Dear whs, I believe you to be an honorable person. In keeping, would you do granny a great big favor and remove that disgusting link from this site? I would hate for any child to innocently stumble across it. That link is exactly the kind of thing that defiles the human spirit. I trust you all had a productive Earth Day!

Make everyday Earth Day!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Granny, I removed it as you wished. But please note that I was just quoting it from another thread to tell you how we got to the discussion in the first place.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@whs: I think it would be a good idea to restore your old message only replace the link with "[ Edit: Link Removed ]". Then the message posted after it would make since again.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

This is the proverbial 'beating a dead horse'.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Jd, done. Btw. May I ask you why you always spell the word "sense" as "since"? I have noticed that many times in your postings. Is that a special patois in your neck of the woods? I hope you don't mind me asking.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

flogging a dead horse :)

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Flog:
3a: chiefly British : to sell (as stolen goods) illegally <flogged their employers' petrol to ordinary motorists...

I heard this happened to Lord Snowdon, but then again I read the Sun.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

It's because I'm not the best at grammar and spelling and I don't know the correct use of the word. I looked it up now and see the difference.
I guess sense no one corrected me before I just figured that was the correct one.
I also use the spell checker a lot and of course it didn't know I meant a different word entirely.
Also, no I don't mind. I'm happy you pointed that out as now I know the correct word to use.

Edit: Thinking about it, I think before I thought it might have been wrong, I just didn't get around to checking for the correct word.

Edit 2: Re 'Beating a dead horse': How is it so? Has the topic of bad links come up before or do you think this topic has gone on to long?

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Dear whs, I fully understand what you were trying to do, but reposting the link only adds insult to injury. Granny doesn't need graphics. Simply stating that there was a questionable link would have sufficed. But thank you for removing it.:) I love language games! Scott, "beating a dead horse"-correct. Scott, again correct about flog, not bad for a Sun reader!:)

jd, Your grammar is fine. I've yet to notice any glaring weaknesses.

Re: Edit 2: This topic has gone from age restrictions to moo shu pork to word play. Which "dead horse" is being beaten? You all have a good day!

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

All work and no play makes Jack a dull grandson. Especially for geeks ;)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Granny, I like to stick to the facts, even if the facts are graphic. But there is worse.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Dear whs, I thought you and the "Geeks behind the curtain" were serious about keeping the site "G" rated. I guess I was wrong.

Scott, You're a hoot!:)

If I may again enlist the expertise of the How-to-Geeks, I'm having a devil of a time with HP email support. Bless their hearts, they're trying hard but nothing is working. I keep getting this persistent error code: 80070005 pertaining to my monitor. The monitor wants to update the driver but it fails every time. I've even edited the registry per the HP email instructions. Nothing is working. I think all of you might be smarter. If granny hasn't gotten on your nerves too badly, can you help me out?

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Granny, surely you see our indiscretions are few and far between.

Copying your post so it has a better chance of a reply, (if your OS isn't Vista, please let me know).

And just in case you haven't heard it today,

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Dear Scott, I do see. That's why I'm here and not on some seedy web site. I just come from a different place in time and don't always understand you kids. I will repost because now HP is having difficulty coming up with a solution.

Thank you so much for the beautiful card! You've made an old lady's day:)!

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

I love Grandmas, maybe because I never met my own :(
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....#post-1234

Posted 5 years ago

xenomex
xenomex

Hey guys, i am a teenager my self , 14, and trust me, the only > Youngsters </ > Teenagers < that go on these forums are probably nerds/Geeks, and so far i havent seen any offensive material on this website, i dont see why anyone should worry.

I strongly disagree with applying age restrictions, as it will ruin the website.
I usually dont say my age, but i felt so comfortable in this community that i proudly said my age!
Please dont make age restrictions!
Xenomex.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!