SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Do we need an age restricted Off Topic forum?

(80 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jd2066
  • Latest reply from xenomex
  • Topic Viewed 8173 times

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Like some people I know when they're really concentrating :)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i do that some times but not usually ;P

Posted 6 years ago

p0oper89
p0oper89

Good topic to raise and i want to give whs credit twice

@whs: you corrected me twice when i was saying offensive language. Keep the good job up.

Posted 6 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

You kids are cracking me up! Or lol? I'll never get the hang of your new-fangled abbreviations. I'm afraid granny's terminally "L7".

P0oper made me think that maybe you were talking about me regarding the inappropriate religious language. If wishing someone a happy (insert religious holiday here) is against the site policy, please don't hesitate to tell me. I would never want to offend anyone intentionally or otherwise.

Have a Great Day! All of You!

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@granny:

You are welcome to wish anybody a happy whichever holiday you'd like. =)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Hi techgranny, You are doing fine. Nobody was talking about your happy wishes. This was the link that started the discussion:
Edit: The controversial link was removed because TechGranny took exception to it.

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

@whs
it was kinda funny though, you have to admit

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Happy Earth Day, everyone! (No, it's not a wiccan thing).

And a special Earth Day greeting to Al Gore, who not only took the initiative in creating the Internet -- without him we wouldn't be chatting -- but he has also now given us guilt that we are killing the planet and fear that it will turn around and kill us first, and soon.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

yay earth day now go plant some trees or what ever you do on this day

Posted 6 years ago

Anonymous

Hey, that sounds interestin'. More particulars pleese. We're enveloped in smog here.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Rincewind, today April 22nd is Earth Day. Read all about it on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_day

Look for the links at the bottom. The US gov't has it's own site: earthday.gov, and there is even a YouTube Earth Day contest for you, Lighthouse.

Where is "here" that's enveloped in smog? And please don't tell me it's Discworld!

EDIT: the wife just let me know that Google's homepage is changed for Earth Day.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

@Scott. What? I KNOW the earth is doomed.
Edit. I have been spreading the word of this forum, far and wide.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

it is already falling to pieces

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@Jack & Lighthouse: it's not the planet that is doomed, but us puny life forms living on it. There have been plenty of extinction events that have wiped out more than half the life on Earth. There is a theory that the Earth was at least once completely frozen into a snowball Earth.

In lighter news, c|net has a great section of Earth day articles on green tech which brings us back to geek stuff:
http://www.news.com/Earth-Day-.....ag=nl.e703

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

I'm doing my part here in Vermont. Our cow provides enough methane to power one energy saver 20w light bulb that warms a seedling that will soon grow up to be a tree that will shade the house from the ever increasing global warming that is actually an oxymoron as many parts of the world are cooling off.

The cow also gives us enough poop to fertilize our land and grow organic veggies. Never mind the funky taste, we're doing our best ;)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

As most (well, a lot of) life gets wiped out every 50,000 years or so, then you are correct. Eventually the sun goes supa and all is gone.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

It's good to see an ecological discussion in the US. With only 4% of the worlds population you produce 25% of the earth's dirt. I wish the US goverment would slam a $4 tax on a gallon of gas (like in Europe) and triple the price of electricity with taxes too. That would change things a lot faster than all those useless discussion. The behaviour you can only change via the pocket book. Then use all this tax money to install a proper railroad system like the TGV http://www.metacafe.com/watch/.....e_footage/
and give people money for solar panels on their roofs. After all, at least half of the US has plenty of sun year round.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya well you should take a look at china they are the worst and also i'm saying that the us is not bad because it is but china is way worse.

did you know that china is so bad pollution wise that they were not going to have olympics there because the other countries didn't want their athletes to get sick or what ever

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Look at Spain. It's been compulsory to fit solar panels on newbuild houses for some time. Very few are actually connected up (it's a tax break thing). The inspector comes round, looks at your roof, ticks his box, and goes!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Jack, You are right, China is as bad as the US, but they are 5 times as many people. If they were polluting at the rate of the US on a per capita basis, we would not see the sun again in our lifetime.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!