The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

do i need to install xp?

(5 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Jestermaximus
  • Latest reply from Jestermaximus
  • Topic Viewed 1558 times

Jestermaximus

I just bought a new HP laptop for playing videogames (battlefield 2, battlefield 2142 etc) and none of them are vista compatible. I contacted ea and they told me to to the usual things, update the drivers, run in windowed mode, run as admin, delete the file in my documents and of course reinstalling it. After all this none of these games work. Are there any other tricks I can try, because it seems that the games work on about half of the new computers with vista. or is xp my only recourse? thanks for the help.

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

I wouldn't say that you need to install XP unless the game is just completely incompatible with Vista. I'm not sure about that particular game, however.

Posted 7 years ago

Jestermaximus

Well, i've tried everything that i've found on google, ea.com and nvidia.com, i'm not sure what else to do besides installing xp. Do you guys know if upgrading to vista ultimate would make any difference?

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Upgrading to vista ultimate shouldn't change your vista compatibility problems... don't go that route, it'll just be a waste of money.

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

Posted 7 years ago

Jestermaximus

yep (and many users have reported the same problem) when i do it asks me to insert the CD. I have also heard about something called a virtual desktop, could this kind of program help?

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.