The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

DO I NEED INTERNET EXPLORER ?

(8 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by KIngmidas
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 3577 times

KIngmidas

Can i just delete / do without....... Internet Explorer, or will it effect other browsers

Posted 3 years ago

bobro

you cant delete internet explorer as its built deep into windows (well it used to be). you can just ignor it and use a different browser software like Firefox or Opra or Google Chrome etc.

You will probably be getting messages about IE9 and i think i so an artical on HTG saying why it was good but from personal experiance at work i dont like th changees and it seems a bit 'buggy' so i am still on IE8 at home.

Posted 3 years ago

LH

You can delete IE, but you may have problems with Windows Updates in the future. Best just to disable it in Default Programs. (i,e,. do not allow access).
Plus some 3rd party programs are hard coded to use it, so you may still see it pop up from time to time.
Plus the whole folder only uses 1.49MB of disk space. Just leave it there.
You can still use other browsers with no problem, but only one can be set as default. You can still have as many different ones as you like, open at the same time tho.

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

This is in xp?
8 is your highest browser limit
9 is for vista and 7 only.

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

KIngmidas

vistamike.... i know that, but it is not what i was asking i just want to uninstall it but, will there be repercussions / reverberations !!

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

No, uninstall IE 9 and you will revert to IE8. There should be no problems at all, previous settings saved etc.
This should not affect programs that require IE to work, if that is what you are asking.

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

LH

Mike, Kingmidas did not specify the version. So I suggest that he reads my last post above.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix

KIngmidas,

Follow the advice of others above.

For instance IE6 and Outlook Express which shipped in XP go hand in hand as an example of the inter-dependence of programs in XP.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.