SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Do I need all this adobe stuff in my PC???????????

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Justmast
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 503 times

Justmast
Justmast

Hello all, I was just going through my s/w list, when I see that I have:
(1) Adobe flash Player activeX
(2) Adobe flash player plugin (IE & Non IE)
(3) Shockwave player
(4) MS Silverlight
installed.

I am really wondering, that do I need them all or they are like substitutes??????

Regards,
Justmast

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

The answer is you don't NEED any of them if you do not want to watch the videos and animations that require them.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

You probably won't miss Silverlight...I don't.

Posted 1 year ago

Justmast
Justmast

@Xhi: Ok. So, that means, if I want to watch videos and animations online, I need ALL of them?????????

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

No, but you do not necessarily know which you need. The reason you have them is probably because at one time or another something requires them. You can remove any or all of them and wait for something not to work and request hat you load it again. But, why do that. They are not interfering with anything.

Why are you considering removing them? That would violate Xhi's 1st rule of computing. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

I use Win 7 and Chrome browser. A few months ago, I uninstalled ALL Adobe stuff, including the ones you mentioned -- and Silverlight as well. And for good measure, I also uninstalled Java.

Most all animation and video I encounter are from websites. My Google Chrome browser includes an Adobe Flash plug in. Thus far, I haven't encountered any video that couldn't be played. So no need for installation of a separate Flash app. I don't miss Java or Silverlight at all. Your web experience may differ.

But off the web, some apps depend on third-party animation apps. My 'Encyclopaedia Britannica' DVD requires Adobe Shockwave. As well, I just made a purchase of the National Geographic DVD set. I haven't received it yet, but I believe it will require Adobe Flash -- in which case, I will have to re-install it.

As you can see, it all depends on where you browse and what apps you use. Hopefully this helps.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ Stringjunky - I would say the opposite ;) Most Dutch television sites use silverlight and a lot of schoolprograms (for registration of attendance, grades etc.) use it. Our main newssite also uses it. Reminds me I still have a question about it ...

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I haven't needed it at all Sarah ever...must be different here.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Microsoft was trying to push Silverlight as an alternative to the Adobe flash. Some websites have adopted it - others have not. It is just one of those things with 2 different standards for the same function. Reminds me the old VHS vs. Betamax confusion. VHS finally won.

Posted 1 year ago

Justmast
Justmast

@Xhi: I was considering uninstalling, because I really don't want to keep unimportant stuff in PC. But, yes, it seems like testing is the solution. Or maybe I will just keep the stuff as it is.

@ReadandShare: I am using win7 as well, but with firefox.

@Stringjunky: I will agree with Sarah, I have seen the utility for silverlight as well. But its very less often.

@whs: But, then why adobe is publishing multiple products :-)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Adobe maintains multiple levels of their product because websites use those multiple levels. Some are historic, but the websites never updated. And the IE plug-in is for your IE browser.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I didn't realise Silverlight was MS's version of flash...wondered what it was.

Posted 1 year ago

Justmast
Justmast

@whs: Do you mean to say shockwave player and flash player are one and same with different versions????????

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

No they are not the same. But I really do not know the specific differences.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

All depends on what online videos you watch, and from where.
Delete them all. You will soon be told that you need such and such to view this.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!