SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Do I need Adobe reader running at startup?

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Aleeve
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 35017 times

Aleeve
Aleeve

Sorry, really should make this one thread..

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

What about adobe update manager?
Or should I make that run monthly along with Java update?

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Skytel.exe ?

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Save time - which don't i need?
Checked items are ones that are running at startup

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I would stop all those. The update managers you could run occasionally. I don't update a program that works. You always run the risk that it will not work after the update. Old saying: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

PS: your next post came whilst I was tping. I was only referring to your first 3 posts. Let me check your big list.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Ok, Having gone into the program files, I actually have no updater? However, all my Adobe software appears to be working fine

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Aleeve, you don't need Adobe Update Manager either. Adobe Reader is not updated that often and Secunia PSI can tell you if there is a new one. Basically, I would get rid of any updaters, other than your virus definitions, and run Secunia on a schedule.

You also have the Adobe Reader "speed launch" running, reader_sl.exe. This pre-loads part of Reader, hoarding memory in case you should launch it. Get rid of that and if Adobe Reader takes too long to launch, get FoxIt instead.

Your Java is downlevel. Update 11 is the current version. Skytel comes with RealTek audio chips. It's the Realtek Voice Manager, and I have no idea what it does.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Ok thanks
Scott, so will Secunia PSI basically update any programs that need updating (which is what it says I think)
Does that cover Chrome? (Down at the bottom of the list there is the Google Updater)

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Skytel.exe

Description> skytel.exe is a Realtek Voice Manager from Realtek Semiconductor Corp. belonging to Realtek Voice ManagerThis is usually associated with Realtek Audio drivers.
Recommendation> skytel.exe should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Secunia PSI is best used to be aware of new program versions. It can get updates for you, but this is not it's primary purpose. For example, if it tells you that there is a new Java, you should uninstall the one(s) you have and get the latest from java.com. If it tells you there is a new Chrome (Secunia knows Chrome), then you should run Chrome and choose "check for updates" or whatever the function is called that will cause Chrome to update itself.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

that's a lot of start up stuff

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Oz - that;s why I'm dealing with it!

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Startup speeds SO much quicker now, thank you so much!

I also disabled TMM using Drifta's link from the Windows 7 Thread http://forum.notebookreview.co.....p?t=166532

So now, it loads up to login faster
And then actually being able for usage is much faster!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

On my smallest laptop I disabled everything (except Kaspersky) and I (actually the wife) never had a problem. But then, she only does simple stuff.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.