The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

DLL Entry Points

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Macroe
  • Latest reply from Macroe
  • Topic Viewed 2433 times

Macroe

* How do I discover what entry points a DLL process has ?* For instance , the command > "rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL main.cpl" < brings up the mouse properties (window) * The "Control_RunDLL" spec is an entry point in the shell32.dll process that obviously runs Control Panel Extension (cpl) files * If you look inside shell32.dll , you will discover hundreds of what look like entry points (names) ; but What do they do? * I've tried several and they seem to execute but nothing happens * I suggest that you play with this stuff on a computer that macht nichts , lest you do something that surprises you *

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Xhi
Xhi

Unless you are personally writing programs you should have no need to worry about rundll32,exe

Posted 1 year ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since when does curiousity have to be backed up by need?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

If you use NIRSOFT's REGDLLVIEW SHELL32.DLL has 283 entry points. All point back to Registry Class ID's. You'd have to look at those to really understand/figure out what they do.

Can also get the same info from NIRSOFT's DLLEXPORTVIEWER...

DLL stands for Dynamic Load Library. Some will even be API call routines. The NAME alone might not be very useful to you.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

NIRSOFT has some really great utilities if folks would use them.

http://www.nirsoft.net/

They are Known Good FREE Software Site for HTG Members.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Since when does curiousity (sic) have to be backed up by need?

Just that inquiring minds want to know. Certainly if it is curiosity then no problem.

Posted 1 year ago

Macroe

Saturday, 2012 October 06 - 00:42:57 (day#280)

* Thanks - all of you who responded to this post * I continue to learn about Windows from experts like you *

* raphoenix > Thanks for your suggestions * I went to the website that you suggested * I downloaded the "Depends" program from > http://www.dependencywalker.com/ < which is the same program I downloaded (as Depends) formerly * I have seen this prog before and was quite overwhelmed by its complexity so I didn't pursue it in detail at the time * I now remember that that's the right way to see the call entry points and to get some idea of what they are (and to discover what's missing) * I intend to obtain the manual for this program and attempt to understand what the program is telling me * I agree that Nir Sofer has produced some terrific (diagnostic) utilities ; it DOES take some time to go through them all * Thanks again *

* ispalten > Thanks for your suggestions also * I went to the 3 websites that you presented and saw what they had to offer * I had already downloaded "dll_export_viewer" some months ago along with every utility that Nir Sofer had made available (a huge list) * However , when I started going through his huge list of programs alphabetically , I hadn't gotten as far as "DLL Export Viewer" before being called away on other matters * I will try his offset address capture to debugger trick soon (I hope) * Since I am a freeware junkie , I didn't download the other programs that you suggested because they are-not freeware *

* Xhi > Thanks for the perceptive comment * Yes , this is innocent curiousity ; I'm not really a BlackHatter *

* See "RunDLL32 Usage" (post-310699) in forum "Geek Stuff" for my other post on this topic *

* Thanks to all who took their time to reply to my posts *

Mac

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!