SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

display driver has failed and recovered!!! vista error HELP!!

(17 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by mattmanbass
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 15957 times

mattmanbass

Ok so ive been pulling my hair out trying to fix this, ive installed the latest drivers, wiped the harddrive everything i can think of and it still doesnt work right, when i play world of warcraft on my notebook (2 ghz dual core, 3 gigs ram, x3100 integrated graphics) the screen will go black for a second and then pop back up, its always at the worst times, if you alt tab when this happens you will see a error message that says display driver has failed and recovered or something to that effect. Is there anyway to fix this other than running windows XP? and while were on that subject can someone tell me why i cant load XP on this Vista computer? when it comes time to pick which partition to install xp on there is nothing there? Im so very frustrated any help would be greatly apprieciated.

Posted 5 years ago

bonfire1030

I had the same problem when I purchased a new tower(vista home premium 32 bit) and a Nvidia graphics card. The problem only occured when the NVidia card was installed. After doing some research, I found that vista and Nvidia graphics cards do not play together very well. I then went with ATI. After installing ATI, the error message dissapeared.

Hope this helps.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Welcome bonfire, and thank you for that info. It's something to chew on.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

You may want to read this. http://news.cnet.com/nanotech/?keyword=X3100 They also propose an updated driver with a link to the Intel site.

Posted 5 years ago

mattmanbass

ok thanks for the responses guys, unfortunaltly the gpu is integrated so i cant go ati = (, im very interested in the new drivers on that page i will definatly try those out, hopefully they work because the next step i was gonna take was loading xp back on, i just read a tutorial from this site on how to do that. lol its so ridiculous i spent all this money on this thing and all i want it do is work right, /sigh

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

There's a thought? If it plays through XP on the same card that it does not through Vista, then, XP must be sending a slower data stream hence less resolution to the GPU.

Posted 5 years ago

mattmanbass

im pretty sure its just a driver issue, ive read many accounts of people being plagued by this bug for a year or longer without reprieve, nvidia is aware, intel is aware, microsoft is aware but nobody can seem to get it fixed, the only thing ive heard that works so far is loading xp and using the xp drivers which seem to work just fine (as intended)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Would be nice if you let us know whether the driver update worked.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

NVidia drivers and Vista are just not terribly compatible, sadly. I've had zero problems with ATI cards.

Posted 5 years ago

mattmanbass

tryed the new driver updates, and it is worse than before, and now the screen flickers real bad in the character select screen, im so very frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

I installed an ATI Radeon 2600 XT on my home built Vista and it works very well.Not the best card around but performs well with games.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

If the new driver is no good, go back to the restore point that was written before downloading the driver. You apparently have a different problem. One possibility is that the on board 3100 is too slow for what you are trying to do with your game. That on board graphics is not the swiftest.

Posted 5 years ago

gonsuran

hey i had this problem also but my new xps 1530 dell laptop with gforce 8600 gts. i was playing crysis.. it went black...the error messege appeared but all that was on the screen was the error messege and blackness , i waited for ten minutes for it to go back but it didnt.
i tryed all the computer stuff like task manager n crap but that didnt work so i manually shut the laptop down. i started it back up, it got to the "microsoft windows loading" screen then went black. i had to get the hd replaced and everything was working fine while i was playing guildwars but then WAMMO the error message appears again. and now my hd space is slowly going down gig by gig. its not a virus or anything. but i havnt played any games for about 2 weeks kuz i dont want ta make it happen again. any help??

Posted 5 years ago

gonsuran

also i dont recomend dell service if you go to any other countries... all their emails are invalid o.O took me 4 days to actualy find someone else who knew someone in dell to help me lol

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I emailed them successfully a week ago (UK). Just haven't got a reply yet!

Posted 5 years ago

devolve

I've been looking for a solution to this problem myself, but I believe I've narrowed it down to DirectX. When playing any game in DirectX10 Mode, the game crashes after about 1hour play, and i might get lucky and have the display driver recover, or in worst case I have to restart. Now my system is brand spankin new, Quad Core Phenom, 9600GT, New MOBO, power supply is 1000w.

If I play the same game in DirectX9 Mode, I dont get the crash and can play for hours. Anyone have any idea one whats happening with this?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

devolve,

Go here and read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

Click on link in article { commercial motives }

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!