The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

diskpart problem..

(20 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by awai91
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 22761 times

awai91

need help..when i type list disk command..its show no output..its just said no fixed disk to show...i just follow the solutions from the previous topic..because when i want to recovery my laptop..it not showing the driver..help me...(T T)

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

I assume this is what you did...

===========================
C:\>diskpart list disk

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7600
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: IRV-XPS435

DiskPart was unable to process the parameters.
Use 'diskpart /?' for more information.

C:\>
=========================

If you didn't see that even, it is because you must run that command in an elevated Command Prompt (Run As Administrator, START ORB --> ALL PROGRAMS --> ACCESSORIES, RMB on COMMAND PROMPT, and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR). However, DISKPART is a 'process' you enter and then send commands too.

Like this :

==============
DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
* Disk 0 Online 698 GB 1024 KB
Disk 1 Online 931 GB 0 B
Disk 2 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 3 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 4 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 5 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 6 Online 7663 MB 0 B

DISKPART>
==========

You must SELECT the disk first and then run the other commands. You can use /? at each 'level' to get more info.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Veegertx

Ran across this
Use the command diskpart to open Diskpart in a new command line window.
Enter lis dis in the new prompt, if it remains empty the computer is infected with the rootkit. If the disks display, it is not.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

@Veergertx, see my post. In W7 it appears to need the SELECT DISK x command to work. In XP, it doesn't require the SELECT command.

I've tested for ROOTKITS (SysInternals ROOTKIT REVEALER) and I have none.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Veegertx

I was talking to OP
I think I seen that in one of the monthly newsletters from WS but can't seem to find
Also here http://www.ghacks.net/2010/09/.....infection/

DISKPART> lis disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 186 GB 0 B
Disk 1 Online 596 GB 0 B

Edit: removal http://social.answers.microsof.....be29ea4e37

Posted 4 years ago

awai91

this is what i did..
============================
x:\window\system32> diskpart

Microsoft Diskpart version 6.1.7600
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
on computer: MININT-NSDMDBC

DISKPART> select disk 0

the disk you specified is not valid
there is no disk selected

=========================
i dont have an idea about this...
i try to follow all..but..its still have the same problem??
any good solutions?
guide me please...
i need to recover my laptop because its show no driver when i try to load..
tq

Posted 4 years ago

Veegertx

@awai91 You are using elevated command prompt? Right click run as administrator like ispalten said?
If you are and it is not listing any disks you may have a rootkit. If machine still boots then use the Edit: removal above.

If won't boot you can try Bitdefender Rescue CD http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/article/627/

Did you have this installed????????????? x:\window\system32> is usually during setup

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

@Veergertx, interesting stuff you posted, I can not get DISKPART to list the disks unless I use SELECT, but DISK MANAGER shows the disks OK. According to your first link, BOTH must not show any disks. Also, it sort of implies that BSOD's could come from the supposed infection....

From http://www.ghacks.net/2010/09/.....infection/

=====
Use the command diskpart to open Diskpart in a new command line window.

Enter lis dis in the new prompt, if it remains empty the computer
is infected with the rootkit. If the disks display, it is not.
=====

This is with respect to X64 bit systems, and in my case, this happens.

Further down,

----------------
The second option to detect the 64-bit rootkit is the following: Launch Disk Management from the Computer Management pane.

If it does not show disks, it means the system is infected with the rootkit. If it shows disks, everything is fine.
----------------

But in my case, disks show.

So what do I have or is this all not true I ask?

I was wrong in saying I ran Rootkit Revealer, it doesn't work on x64, but I did use GMER (http://www.gmer.net/) and Saphos Anti-Rootkit ( http://www.sophos.com/products.....otkit.html ) and BOTH show no infections.

To me, it appears the OP has a different problem, no disks apparently attached to the system.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Awai91, I don't know what the previous topic you were referring to is?

I assume you can boot?

It is a LAPTOP, and it boots but what is the error you are getting?

Can you post complete details and the whole history here please?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Veegertx

Awai91 Really tell us exactly where you are at
x:\window\system32> is only during setup where you get the x:\. Have done quite a few

ispalten
Them links say if nothing shows then you have a rootkit. There are many variations to this as we know and not all things we have will detect them correctly because them things load before the GUI(before Windows). I read that the Bitdefender since it updates itself during boot will detect them but that may be only certain variations of it.

I switched yesterday to MSE because problems I was having I wasn't sure Avast was detecting them

Posted 4 years ago

awai91

sorry everyone..i do not post the detail...so here my problem actually

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=49

its exactly same with my problem

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Awai91, I'm sorry but which one of the VERY OLD entries are you?

I for one will not go back through 3 pages trying to figure out which you are or which one is the same as you. Please post complete details clearly here.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

@Veergertx, as I said, my situation doesn't fit that link. I have XP in a Virtual Box and another 2 XP machines. LIS DIS will work on those without a SELECT 0 done. On W7 it doesn't.

That doesn't mean I do or don't have a rootkit, however, I've run (recently) 3 different programs that are Rootkit seekers and all report some files to investigate (they did not have them in their database) and NO Registry infections, but other than the files, nothing. All the files were legit by the way.

So, I'm pretty sure that link has some misleading information and more importantly, there really is no surefire way to determine if one has a rootkit without question. However, running a few programs that don't find anything is good enough for me.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

awai91

this is what i mean from the there..
===================================================================================================================================
I turn on my pc and an acer screen appears, then one saying microsoft and then a blue one saying "System Recovery Options : Select keyboad layout", I choose US and then click next.

The next screen says "Select a operating system to repair and click next. Only Windows Vista operating systems are listed and can be repaired. If you do not see your operating system listed, click Load Drivers to load drivers for your hand disks." I dont see my operating system and I click on load drivers, but nothing is there.
So anyway, I click next and the next screen says "Choose Recovery Tools". The only one I can choose is Command Prompt. I click on that and a black screen appears saying X: \windows\system32.

==================================================================================================================================
because i can't see the driver that i have to choose in the recovery..
i just try to follow the solutions there..i hope u can try fix it..;D

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

So it seems you are booting the Install CD?

Normally, that screen comes up when it can't find a drive that you want. It assumes you need a DEVICE DRIVERS (either for the disk controller or the drive itself) so you press load drivers. You SHOULD have the required driver either on CD or Diskette. It will then load them and you should see the drive.

So lets back up a bit here...

What is the situation on your computer? Can you boot it at all to an OS?

What is the computer make and model?

Can you get into BIOS and see the drive?

From the prompt, X:, it has to be the VIRTUAL DISK that the OS Install CD creates. Since SELECT 0 failed, all indications to me is that you have no hard drive attached.

Can you open the case and ensure that there is a drive connected properly? That means POWER to it and the drive cable secure on it and the motherboard?

What drive is this, SATA or IDE? Obviously you have a CD working and can boot to it. Is the drive on the same cable as the DVD drive?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

awai91

emmm..i'm not booting from cd...when i start booting..its just give 2 option start window normally and launch start up repair...when i choose start window normally..it reboot...and i see the same display (launch up repair..etc)
so it try to repair..its give me the recovery..but the problem..i cannot see the driver..
or it SHOULD be have the installation CD?
my notebook is SAMSUNG NP-N148 which is no dvd..in addition,i dont have the installation CD and external DVD drive.

if its have to be that way..
so,where i can get the driver?because i dont have the CD..or i can download it??
then,can i save the driver into the pendrive and load it when i want to recover?(because the notebook dont have DVD drive and i dont have the external DVD

tq so much...

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

You have a problem then booting the installed OS. The drive appears to be recognized, but it failed to boot the last time, so you wind up with the screen you see. What I'd like to know is exactly what happens and what you see when you try to boot 'normally'. Any errors or other screens or does it return right back to the choice screen immediately.

Have a digital camera, take a picture of all screen and upload them here would be a big help.

When you do the repair, you are getting to the hard drive's hidden partition which allows you to re-install/repair. At the X: prompt, what does DIR C: show?

I suggest you READ the following links and understand them, then try what is suggested :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
http://www.doztech.net/how-tos.....up-repair/
http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....ecord.html

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

awai91

when i try to choose start window normally.....i see BLUE DEATH SCREEN..then it return to the choice screen,

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hold down operate button to switch off for 30-60 secs to reset the BIOS settings then try.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

OK, the BSOD contains data, such as the STOP CODE and reason, what are they? It is probably going by fast, but you have to concentrate.

The 'reason' will be the 3rd or 4th line and usually have '_'s in the reason.

Stop code will be at the bottom and say stop on the beginning of the line.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.