How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

disk read error in window xp

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by vishnu88
  • Latest reply from ronniesonora
  • Topic Viewed 707 times

vishnu88

hi GS,
i faced the problem of DRE. i followed step1. set priority in BIOS. step2 restart then boot from CD. step3 Booting start.
But my computer stuck on "set up is inspecting your's hardware configure" with black window. plz tell me wat should i do.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi vishnu88 ,

Welcome to HTG ,

What do you mean when you say "I faced the problem of DRE." , what does DRE mean ? to what are you referring to ?

More info is needed.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

vishnu88, are you reinstalling XP? If so did you format the drive first.

Also, could you post make and model of your machine for instance.
Have you made changes to the machine.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

DRE = disk read error

Posted 1 year ago

vishnu88

Thnx GS,
DRE= disk read error
i want the solution of DRE (alt+ctrl+del) problem.
somebody told me that if you want to remove that problem.. you should install XP again or repair window. so first i set the priority in BIOS. computer boot from CD then booting start by showing a message "set up is inspecting your's hardware configure". at that position my computer stuck with black window. plz tell me what should i do..

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Is it actually booting from disc ?

It should ask if you want to boot from cd/dvd "push any key".

Does that happen ?

Posted 1 year ago

vishnu88

yes. after pressing any key. i get enter in boot section. in which it start boot from disk. then my computer stuck.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Make sure your XP installation CD is not corrupted by trying it on another computer. If the XP CD is good, I would suggest going to the hard drive's manufacturer'r site and download and burn their diagnostic utility. Using the utility you can test the drive and prepare the drive from there. If everything went fine with the test and preparation, run the Windows XP installation.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

You might check your XP disk because XP needs SP1 or later to see drives larger than 137 GB (127.5 GiB). If you are trying to install XP onto a drive larger than that with a disk that does not include at least SP1, it won't see the full drive.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!