How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER."

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Shkumbin
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 19296 times

Shkumbin
Shkumbin

I just bought a 160GB HDD(Maxtor), I wanted to put in on my old PC, but after i connected it, and started the PC, it showed this failure message: "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." but if i disconnect it and leave just my current HDD it works well, and i dunno where's the prob... I didn't put the jumper, also a friend recommended me to try changing the head-cable(the white and black) but didn't help...
Forgot to tell that it is a used hard drive not new!

If you have any suggestion/solution, please let me know.

With respect,
Thank you.

Posted 4 years ago

alfy

Hi .my name is Alfred.i bought a hp compaq CQ61-3069 with preinstalled vista recently and a few days ago it brought problems.so I decided to restore to factory settings but it brought an error 1002 message at the end.then I tried installing XP but it gave me the blue screen and refused to install.yesterday i tried recovering to factory settings using someone's recovery disc who had cq61 but it gave me an error 1005 and refused to recover.now wen i restart it shows me.
"no bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key."
What do i do?can i get recovery discs for my particular make.and if I can,where can I get it?what do i do?whats this abt disabling or is it enabling SATA?can i install XP?and if i can where can i get the drivers?please advice.reply also to my email address-

Posted 4 years ago

Scott
Scott

Hello alfy, what's it all about ?

Please start your own thread with your questions,
asking here is considered hijacking. Your personal
email address was removed from the post per
our forum rules. No big deal, welcome aboard.

Posted 4 years ago

Shkumbin
Shkumbin

Can be that the cables are not connected on the right place, i want to put it as secondary/slave, do i need to put in the jumper or not!?
I don't wanna send it on service pc, because I don't know almost nothing about hardware and want to learn how to do it...

Looking forward for any answer...
Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Yes, one should be master, and one slave. So jumper needed.

Posted 4 years ago

Shkumbin
Shkumbin

I got the current 30GB HDD and it works very good, but when i connect the new 160Gig then it shows that message "Disk boot failure...", so if want to put the new 160Gig as a secondary slave and leave the old 30gig as master, I need to put the jumper on the new 160gig right!?

Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Different makes can be marked differently. But as a rule, Master is DS, and slave is CS. Examine what is written on the disks.

Edit. BTW, in my my experience, Maxtors fail on a a regular basis.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!