The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Disc Cleanup

(24 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by rand2826
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 4834 times

rand2826

My disk cleanup does not have the button for "Clean up system files", I did a clean install. I have 2 windows 7 pro and 2 windows 7 ultimate and none of them have that button.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

I've got Win7 64 bit Home Prem. and it is there?

I opened COMPUTER, right clicked on a drive, selected properties, GENERAL TAB, DISK CLEANUP and on the lower pane on the left it is there?

Not there, try this :

Go to RUN and enter this ---> C:\Windows\System32\cleanmgr.exe

That should start it.

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

ITDave

if that dosen't work, download CCleaner it does the same thing.

Posted 5 years ago

nithinram

yup ccleaner is much better than the native disk cleanup

Posted 5 years ago

rand2826

Thanks for the reply ispalten but that didn't solve the issue. I still only get a "view files" button. There is no button for "Clean up system files". For the other replies I do use ccleaner, but I am trying to find out why my disc clean utility is missing a button.
Thanks
Tim

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

Sounds like the file might be corrupted? Did you try an 'SFC /SCANNOW' or the '/SCANFILE' parameter to point to only CLEANMGR.EXE?

You should also have more than one copy of CLEANMGR.EXE on your system, I have the W7 64 bit version and I have few of them?

By the way, wonder if you have a permissions problem? Run a COMMAND PROMPT in ADMINISTRATOR mode and enter CLEANMGR and see what happens?

There are also some REGISTRY entries the program uses, wonder if you have some bad one?

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

rand2826

I have tried all of those suggestions. I am the only user on the computer and I have full administrator rights.

I have 64 bit on all of the machines. They were all installed with separate dvd's. Surely all 4 of them wouldn't have the same corrupted file. The dvd's all were pre-ordered from wal-mart, so they should be genuine.

Posted 5 years ago

vistamike

Could this help? Disk Clean Up in Win7

Mike

Posted 5 years ago

rand2826

Thanks Mike but I know how to use disc cleanup, so that link don't help. I want to know why my win 7 systems are missing the "Clean up system files" button.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

I'd guess a registry error or some GPEDIT setting? Which ones, no clue?

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

gueb

That is the first question posted in the thread vistamike linked to, and it was answered by the author.
I don't know if the answer is correct though.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Where are you expecting to find the button "Clean up system files" ?

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

It appears on the lower pane on the left.... sounds like he has all the other buttons on the control but that one? Without it, you can't clean it up?

On the control, at the top (after you run cleanmgr and select a drive) is a list of areas of files you'd like cleaned up by deletion. On the bottom pane where description goes when you select one of the area are 2 buttons below, on the right, VIEW FILES, and on the left, CLEAN UP SYSTEM FILES which he is missing?

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Um. I don't have that button either. But Disk Cleanup works fine.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

Very odd? This is the info from HELP and SUPPORT :

++++++++++++++++++++++
The following procedure cleans up files associated with your user account. You can also use Disk Cleanup to clean up all the files on your computer.

Click to open Disk Cleanup.

In the Drives list, click the hard disk drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.

In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, select the check boxes for the file types that you want to delete, and then click OK.

In the message that appears, click Delete files.

To clean up all files on the computer
Click to open Disk Cleanup.

In the Drives list, click the hard disk drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.

In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, click Clean up system files. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Disk Cleanup: Drive Selection dialog box, select the hard disk drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.

In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, select the check boxes for the file types that you want to delete, and then click OK.

In the message that appears, click Delete files.

The More Options tab is available when you choose to clean files from all users on the computer. This tab includes two additional ways to free even more disk space:

Programs and Features. This option opens Programs and Features in Control Panel, where you can uninstall programs that you no longer use. The Size column in Programs and Features shows how much disk space each program uses.

System Restore and Shadow Copies. With this option, you can delete all but the most recent restore point on the disk.

System Restore uses restore points to return your system files to an earlier point in time. If your computer is running normally, you can save disk space by deleting the earlier restore points.

In some editions of Windows 7, restore points can include previous versions of files, known as shadow copies, and backup images created with Windows Complete PC Backup. These files and images will also be deleted. For more information about System Restore, search Windows Help and Support for "system restore."

++++++++

Hmm, I wonder if this is something turned off under certain circumstances? One I could think of is if you are NOT the Administrator? Other could be if System Restore is turned off?

To tell you the truth, I never used that button? I just did.

Guess what, it sort of starts over again? However, this time when it came up, I didn't have the button, but got an extra TAB!!! The tab is MORE OPTIONS? Did NOT have that before? That tab has the 2 buttons explained in the HELP.

OK, so maybe this sets a flag and from now on I'd be getting that? Closed it and re-ran it, nope?

Do you have the 2nd tab? I normally do not have that, only the first Disk Cleanup tab.

I have Home Premium 64 bit. Wonder if higher level of W7 automatically come up with it set that way?

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

I have Vista Home Premium 32bit.
I am Administrator ( + a lot more rights than the average user). Only account.
Restore is on.

I think it could be down to having more than one account on the computer. Haven't tried that yet.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

Well, 'technically' all systems have at least 2? The user, even if Administrator and the hidden Administrator?

Do you have the 2nd tab. MORE OPTIONS? If so, you have the same capability and features as one has with the single tab and 'missing' button?

AHH!!!! Light bulb went on...

I opened Explorer, went to WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and clicked on CLEANMGR.EXE. Ran with a single tab. Closed it an then RMB's on it and ran it AS ADMINISTRATOR... 2 tabs and first one is missing the button...

So, you, for whatever reason is running CLEANMGR.EXE as an Administrator, I am not.

Check the file properties, is it set to do this?

Why it runs as Administrator for some and not others, I have no idea?

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Well. Have played around with all the possibilities, and it always comes up the same way.
And yes, I do have the More Options tab.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

Well, next suspect is the type of install I guess? I did an upgrade from Vista. The OP said a clean install, and didn't you do that too? Maybe I have a registry entry left over from Vista?

Is you CLEANMGR properties set to Administrator all the time?

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Oh sugar. I am talking about Vista. This is a Vista thread (shortly to be moved).

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.