The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Disappearing Songs on Media Player

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Necromicon
  • Latest reply from Necromicon
  • Topic Viewed 667 times

Necromicon

Okay, I bought a Seagate external hard drive (500GB) and backed-up all my songs from Media Player on it. I also sent all the songs to my Sansa Fuze. Then, after checking the external drive and the MP3 player to make sure all the songs were there, I deleted them all from the library. The reason for me doing this is because I'm using my dad's computer while mine still sits in it's box. I'm leaving for college and I got the external drive so I could load all my songs, documents, and pictures onto it and then load them on my computer when I get there. And the reason I deleted all the songs, etc.. from my dad's computer is because he asked me not to leave his computer cluttered up with things he'll never use or songs he'll never listen to.

I noticed that, when I click 'play all' from the external drive's music folder, the songs would re-load back onto Media Player. Now, 2 weeks later, I notice that there are a TON of songs missing from Media Player. I checked the external's files and they were missing from there as well. As a last resort, I checked my MP3 player and they're not there either. I'm very upset because we're talking almost 1000 songs +/- that have disappeared which a large percentage of were downloads from Amazon.Com that I paid for.

The only other changes I made around the same time were, I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista, purchased and installed Vipre antivirus, and then downloaded songs from Limewire. Could any of these changes/adds be the root of the problem? Please help, I'd like my music back. Thank you.

Posted 4 years ago

at0mic

the only time i lost music files was when a program ran that cleaned out duplicate files. it left the named folders but deleted the music. i also had an external drive and the same music on the computers hard drive. when i went to transfer the music to another computer from the external hard drive all the folders were empty. i was seething, i never used an optimizer again after that.

Posted 4 years ago

Necromicon

Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only person that has run into this problem but it still doesn't tell me how to get them back. I was looking online and there is software out there that will extract and reintegrate deleted files but it's friggin' expensive. Did you ever recover your music? And if so, how?

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.