How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Disallow new users to post links?

(17 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 2142 times

ScottW
ScottW

I usually don't make suggestions because I have no idea how much work it would be on "The Management". However, a recent post that may have been spam got me thinking. Other forums don't allow new users to post links until they have a few posts, say five. If we could have that same rule here, it would prevent all of those posts from users who will only ever have 1 post with a link to a scam, phishing, or virus/malware site.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

That's a good idea. I need to think what the best way to implement that would be.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Excellent idea.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

+1, I would make the thresh hold even larger.

Posted 5 years ago

brad
brad

Agreed. Sounds like a good plan.

Posted 5 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

im still relatively new here, but you got my vote!!!

Posted 5 years ago

mgbinnewhaw

Hello folks,
I am a long time lurker on this great site, but when I saw the starter message on this post I was immediately aroused to indignation - How the **** could I, as a first time poster, ask for help?. Send five (or n) stupid, time wasting questions? Not very user-friendly, not in the general ethos of the Geek!!!

Then I read the reason for this "alarming" suggestion - perfectly reasonable, even highly desirable.

But how to implement it??? How about a "prove you're human" box, when at least a real email address could be subsequently blocked if necessary. No doubt 99.9% of readers of this site are genuine would-be geeks or at least value geeks for their knowledge, helpfulness, and tolerance of newbies like me. So, Mr. Geek please bear this in mind when you spend more of your valuable time and intellect contemplating this matter!

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

So, mgbinnewhaw. Why just lurk ? Why not join in ?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

mgbinnewhaw, I think your point is well understood. But what do YOU suggest for the case at hand. Security arrangements are always a pain in the neck (see what we are subjected to at airports these days), but as long as they apply to everyone, it should be OK. What you do not want to do is profiling a certain subset of people. But as long as you know ahead of time what to expect, the proposed procedure should be acceptable. I would, however, be very interested in your proposal.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

The idea here is not to punish new members who need help. It would still be possible to type in a URL, it just wouldn't become a hotlink. It would show up as text, looking like http;//imageshack.us/PictureOfMyProblem.png. This would prevent phishing -- Click Here for Google! -- and would prevent an unsophisticated user from clicking on a hotlink out of curiosity.

Also, we're a friendly bunch here and a new member who politely asks, "how do I post a link to the manual for my PC?" would get help from a moderator or one of the regulars.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Issues with Dubya's original suggestion:

-most new topics, by new members in the 'Build Your Own PC' forum often contain multiple links to parts.
-most, if not all bot registrations have been eliminated since implementation of the 'prove your human' captcha at signup.
-we have previously been spammed by members after their first post.

We have members and mods that practically live on these pages and we average less than one spam per day. Any spam or other nonsense is not up for long.

It's not as if I have a problem with this though.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

AGREE with Scott.
---
When I caught the SPAM posting last evening, it was not up for long as the MOD pulled it down very quickly.
---
Don't think changes should be made as the site is, for the most part, self correcting due to the vigilance and diligence of its members.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I do have to agree with Scott, on that our spam count is easy enough to handle on a daily basis.
But I do hate hotlinks that are just "click here" or similar. Moderators have to check each one quickly, to make sure they are not leading to a nasty site.
If you look at all the links I put up, at least you have an idea of where you are going. Stamps foot!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

AGREE with LH.
It's really a waste of time to be "slick" and hide a link with a "Click Here".
Being somewhat lazy, I prefer to throw the WHOLE link up as it quicker and we all know how to code a link in anyway.
The MODS have a rough job. No use in making it harder.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Well, if the mods are happy, there is not much more the inmates can say.

Posted 5 years ago

mgbinnewhaw

LH - I was a member about 4 yrs. ago using a now defunct e-mail address - when I was helped with an infected PC. I have just signed up again, though I have nothing practical to offer!!

WHS - I'm afraid I haven't a proposal other than my suggested (in my first post) "prove you're a human" box (when someone hits the "Send Post" button in the message box?).

mgb

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

mgbinnewhaw. 4 years ? I very much doubt it.
I am sure you could find something to offer. Even if it is only in Off Topic :)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.