SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Disabling/Preventing Caching Of Temporary Internet Files In Localservice Account

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by eobrah
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 8758 times

eobrah

My question is fairly simple:

Is there any way to disable/prevent windows from storing copies of the content within mapped network drives?

The containing folder in question is located at "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"

I have tryed several methods (mostly based on editing the registry) but none of them seemed to have the disired effect.

I noticed a thread somewhere discribing a way to flush the index.dat file but would that be enough to effectively keep windows from storing the data in the subdirectories?

Furthermore I've noticed several other threads discribing how to make clean-up scripts but this is not what I'm looking for. The reason is that I would have to execute a script whenever the containing folders have exceeded the limit of the disired capacity. But I do not need windows to build this amount of cache in the first place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

eobrah,
Install, Configure for files you want to clean and run this FREE utility anytime you want.
We all use it to my knowledge.
CCleaner
http://www.piriform.com/
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

eobrah

Thanks a lot for the quick answer.

I'm well aware of CCleaner's capabilities and I might use it a little more often than earlier though it's not quite the solution I was looking for.

As I mentioned, I'm not interested in any clean-up scripts (correction: in stead of the word "script" I might have used the word application).

Can I put an entry to the registry or install some third-party software to make the changes?

Is there any way to stop windows from storing the files in question?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

eobrah,
---
I see now.
---
You don't want any evidence at all on the system of where the browser has been.
---
Sorry I didn't read your post completely.
---
Maybe investigate an anonymous proxy service?
---
From searching and reading, believe IE cannot be set for 0 cache but don't know for sure.
---
Keep watching your topic.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

eobrah, hello. I don't have a definitive answer to your question. Which version of IE are you running? LocalService is a built-in account that is used to run Services. I'm not exactly sure why it would cache Temp Files for IE. It would most likely be due to some Service that is running that IE uses, though I can't think of what that would be.

Here's another idea. Perhaps you could use Process Explorer to find out which application or service is accessing that directory.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

OK, I did a little experiment in XP. Run Services.msc, sort the list by the "Log on as" column, and you will see there are only a few services that are owned by LocalService. In my case, there were exactly 8 of them and only one stood out as the most likely suspect: WebClient. On my system with SP3, this service is set to start automatically and was running. So, I stopped it and cleared the LocalService cache files in ...\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5. After this, I was still able to launch IE7 and navigate around the web. The service did not get restarted and no new files were created in the cache directory.

Now, I haven't done the research on exactly what WebClient does, but stopping it seems to prevent writing to that cache directory. However, who knows what apps or function might break with this service down. Next I will check on this service at BlackViper.

EDIT: research at blackviper didn't take long. According to them (him?) it is safe to disable: http://www.blackviper.com/WinX.....Client.htm

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Be carefull about disabling the WebClient Service if on a network.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832161
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@Rick, good find! I was reasonably sure that *something* would break with this service disabled.

@eobrah, from a quick glance at the KB article, it may primarily effect systems that are part of a Server Domain. That may be why Charlie at blackviper has not seen a need for WebClient, if he never used a system in a server domain. I did another experiment on my XP SP3 with the WebClient service stopped. I wanted to make sure that Windows volume shares work and they do. That makes sense because that uses SMB. Still, we are learning.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!