The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Disabling the 8.3 mode, file naming in DOS and/or CMD scripts

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by geekiss
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 903 times

geekiss

Dear Friends, My PC is workihg under Windows XP Professional (SP3) and Int Expl 8. My HD (C:\) has the NTFS Partition. I find it quite convenient using the DOS and CMD Programming System (32 bit). My problem is the 8.3 "Short File"DOS naming convention. For example, Lets assume that there are 2 files in my HD, created by the "Notepad " Editor. One is named "GePostStore.txt" and the other is "GePostString.txt" . When I execute the "DIR GePost*.txt ,
I will get the "Gepost~1.txt "and "Gepost~2.txt .I saw a few hints to implement the Lomg File Naming convention, (Which I actually wish to apply in my PC)
All of the solutions used the Registry to solve this issue. I do not like tampering the Registry. Is there an another way to do it? I am a Newbe fere and I dont know where
to expect the answer, Will I get a notification into ny Email ? Thanks a Lot. Geekiss.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@geekiss, You won't get any E-mail. Posts will appear here.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

According to How to Disable the 8.3 Name Creation on NTFS Partitions

To disable the 8.3 name creation on all NTFS partitions, type
fsutil.exe behavior set disable8dot3 1
at a command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Posted 1 year ago

geekiss

Thanks,
Question: Will this command (fsutil.exe) afeect (make changes) in the physical structore of the H.D. ?
or make only some software modifications in the DOS / CMD Programming Sydtrm ?
Thanks , GeeKiss.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Read,
http://www.microsoft.com/resou.....x?mfr=true

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

It will set the Registry entry that you are afraid to set another safer way. It will not change the structure of the disk drive.

Posted 1 year ago

geekiss

Hello, Dissapointing news for me and those who bothered spending their time trying to help. Well, I prepared a small comman file and named it
Check.bat. And prepared a folder (C:\Work) with a few long-name-files. Here is the contents of this file.(The # character symbolizes the ENTER
key: @echo off # CD C:\Work # fsutil behavior set disable8dot3 1 # Pause > nul # DIR /S /B # Pause > nul # Exit # . I clicked the Check.bat
file and no changes in the file name length. every one remained in the 8.3 mode including the ~n and the 3 character extesion (abcdef~1.txt )
. Later-on I changed the commandfile's extenson to CMD (Check.CMD ) . Any Ideas ? geekiss.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Before I made a batch file i would type in the commands so I could see exactly what was happening. Actually there should be no need for a batch file since doing it once should suffice. Secondly it may have to be done from an elevated command prompt.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

G41M

You do not need to create a batch to disable 8.3 name creation. As Xhi pointed out above, run fsuti.exe in an elevated command prompt. The effect would be global - whole file system and not specific to a folder.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

The Command Line Reference has grown HUGE since the days of old Dos.

http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....y/cc772390(v=ws.10).aspx

Almost impossible to remember all the commands and syntax with switches plus their use.

Posted 1 year ago

geekiss

OK, Thank's,
You advice to do it from an "elevated command prompt". What is an "elevated command prompt"? Could you please show me
an example here?
Appreciating. GeeKiss

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Right click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Not sure you can do an elevated prompt in XP. Just do it regular.

Posted 1 year ago

geekiss

Hello,
Enough is enough. I dont wish to get a stigma as a nagger. And besides, I have found an excellent Search Engine naned "Agent Ransack " which displays ALL
the directories and files with long file nam3es [even the short ones ;-)) ]...
Appreciations to all of you, with such a nice and patient attitude. See you again. Geekiss.
P.S. How can you be reached (I mean, what URL to use) in case I have a different Theme ?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

The url for here, is, http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.