The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Disabling Sleep Mode?

(2 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by suchjunk
  • Latest reply from MetrotekGeek
  • Topic Viewed 9066 times

suchjunk

I apologize in advance. I know next to nothing when it comes to anything computer related which is making finding a solution to my problem so hard.

I bought a new HP Pavillion desktop computer (with Vista) last week. Everything was working fine until yesterday. I had to step away from the computer and when I came back an hour later it appeared to have gone into a sleep mode and would not "wake up". The whole computer seemed dead. I restarted and the monitor kept saying "No Input Signal" and then "Monitor is going to sleep" and the computer would never come on. The screen stayed completely black. Everything was connected properly, it just would not come back no matter how many times I restarted. I had absolutely no luck with HP support last night.

I called again this morning and an hour later it seemed to be running fine. I turned off the monitor. I came back to check it out and I don't know what it's currently doing. I hit the space bar to get it of sleep mode but it's not working. The desktop just flashes on for a second and goes black, flashes and goes black.

I've turned it off and am hoping when I get home from work I can fix it. Any idea what I should do? Can you disable sleep mode completely? Would that be a bad idea?

Again, I have no idea what I am doing but with my old comuter I would just turn the monitor off and let the sreen saver come on after 30 minutes. I've never had this problem before. Thank you for any suggestions.

Posted 7 years ago

MetrotekGeek

Disabling sleep mode shouldn't be an issue with a desktop. Although I'd be a bit concerned that you are having issues with a brand new computer. In the meantime, check out The Geeks' article on how to disable sleep mode (power management) with Vista.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.