• Topic Viewed 19213 times

Rosario

Hi
In my startup program below programs starts automatically when windows starts

Ati catalyst control center launcher
Media center tray applet
Intellipoint
Microsoft office grove

So if i disable it from Windows Service or from Startup what prob could be arise? or i can disable it safely......

Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

wallaceb
wallaceb

Microsoft office grove: can be disabled fine, no worries

Media center tray applet: Do you use windows media center? if so, then you want this, if not, then it can be disabled

Ati catalyst control center launcher: I recommend to keep this

Intellipoint: You ca disable this, nothing should happen if you do

Posted 5 years ago

Rosario

Thanks for reply
No i dont use Media center ...but Media player and Media center is not same right??

And at last if i can disable everything from Windows Srevice

Another thing in Windows defender ---Software Explorer---Startup program
Thr few programs shows in Classifications Column Not yet Classified and other permitted
why like this?? or i need to do something for thr permission if so how can i do this....

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

There is little to be gained by disabling start-ups unless you are short in RAM. CPU wise they do nothing. I have about 35 start-ups running and my CPU idles between 0 and 1% (and that only because of all the activity in my sidebar).

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

whs,

Disagree. The leaner and meaner you can run your machine, the better the machine's overall performance will be. NO need for most of the Startup Threads and some of the Services which are not used. I wrote a technical article in a reply about this subject somewhere on this site. You Disable some of that "stuff" and you will be able to "just feel and see the difference".

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

billbonza
billbonza

winpatrol is good for that. Google: "windows start up database" and find the entries that are safe to disable/delete.

Posted 5 years ago

Rosario

Thanks again for all reply
but what about this:
Windows defender ---Software Explorer---Startup program
Thr few programs shows in Classifications Column Not yet Classified and other permitted
why like this?? or i need to do something for thr permission if so how can i do this....

best regards...........
rosario

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

@Rick, Lean is good, I agree. But the start-ups really don't do anything unless they provide a service. As I said, RAM may be a problem, but CPU wise they have no impact. Of course, I have also deleted completely useless ones - sometimes you really ask yourself what they were thinking when they start up stuff you don't even have. On one of my systems I discovered bluetooth stuff - but I don't have bluetooth. But in general I think the start-up phenomenom is being highly exaggerated.
@billonza, I am also a fan of WinPatrol. Good program and much easier for managing the start-ups than msconfig. Plus you get little Scotty to stand guard (that is one of my start-ups).

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Rosario, don't worry about classification and permission. There is nothing you need to do. This is just info. And Defender and Explorer I would leave alone.

Posted 5 years ago

billbonza
billbonza

windows defender isnt needed if you have decent av's. I dont use it myself.

Posted 5 years ago

Rosario

Im using Nod32 and Super antispyware and Windows Firewall

amd defender is On too...........

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

> windows defender isnt needed if you have decent av's. I dont use it myself.
Windows Defender is for anti-spyware not antivirus so an AV will not replace it unless your AV program also does anti-spyware.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ALL,

NO need to run Windows Defender, AVG, or any other Anti-Virus / Spyware programs in real time.

Just have a good CLEAN partition backup image, run with ports closed and do manual cleanup and maintenance at the end of the evening. Also don't hang around on "shoddy" websites unless you have many software utilities and know how to fix the machine Registry.

Have never had a Virus.

I KNOW I WILL TAKE GRIEF CONCERNING ABOVE SUGGESTION SO BE NICE (LOL) (LOL).

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I second jd. And Rick, although I understand from where you come, for the average user that is a little extreme. I have a friend who never caught a virus either. How did he do it? - He never went on the internet. He has only 1 program on his $3000 computer - and that is for writing letters. lol

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

thats what i say the only safe computer is a computer that is offline and even then they are some times not safe

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

jack7h3r1pp3r,

THERE IS REASON in what you say which I failed to mention. Keep all HDs Containing Clean Backups Disconnected in the machines, off your internal network and definitely not connected in any way to the net.

When re-installing say a Ghost Partition on a HD, definitely do it and update your programs (BEFORE) connecting back to the Internet. Just ensure your internal network is clean before allowing it access to to a net gateway.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!