The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Disable Power Management in XP Pro

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by lesliem
  • Latest reply from Michael
  • Topic Viewed 7754 times

lesliem

I update all of the computers with patches at night when the reboot won't interrupt anyone working. So, I need for them all to stay on all the time. When I create a new local profile, I have to remember to go into the power management in Display Settings, Screensaver, Power to set it to Always On. If I don't and the new user changes their password, it's a big hassle to get their password, log in as admin, set the user to administrator level, log in as them, change the setting, changes their security back to user level.

Is there a registry hack to set all local profiles to Always On? Or any other suggestions for getting the computers to stay on all the time?

Thank you!!
Leslie

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Computers on all the time? Set the Power Management Options to make sure that it never hiberates, sleeps and so on.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

lesliem

But, I have to remember to do that every time I create a new local profile. If I was the only one creating local profiles, there wouldn't be a problem. I have a staff that creates them, too. Not everyone remembers all the time. I'm looking for an eazire way to fix it when someone forgets.

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

If your network is employing domain model, and all workstations are setup to be member of the domain, you can use system policy editor to create system wide policy. The policy editor is poledit.exe

I'm realy sorry that I cannot give you further details, because I have stopped networking pcs since 6 years ago. I may lost something from my memory :) I believe you can find further detail of poledit.exe and how to implement them from microsoft home page. Believe me, it's piece of cake

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Why not just Google for poledit? It would be rather easy though, the Group Policy Editor has a nice User Interface.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!