The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Disable MS KeyTips (Alt)?

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by maestrogn
  • Latest reply from Johncoltrane
  • Topic Viewed 1004 times

maestrogn

I work in voice research and must use a lot of Unicode glyphs. Is there a way to turn off KeyTips (where Alt shows all the menu key shortcuts). I know the shortcuts I need, but I need the Alt key back to use in several different program and in order to directly enter Unicode characters via my keyboard.

I've searched all over the web and found nothing on this. Is there a way to get Alt back?

maestrogn

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

maestrogn hi. Any help ?
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-xp-vista/

Posted 1 year ago

maestrogn

Lighthouse:

I'll try it but I'm not that hopeful. I use KLM for my remapping and it cannot overcome MS's rampant paternalism concerning what it thinks I need from the Alt key ... it cannot remap it because it is apparently controlled at a higher level in Office. I'll post back when I try it.

Thanks for the help.

maestrogn

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Run it as Administrator.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You can use a program like AutoHotKey which will perform all its designated control key functions prior to any Microsoft choices.

Aren't Unicode characters just ALT + NNNN where NNNN is a number? On my computer, yes the menubar does pop up, but it does not interfere with typing in the NNNN part and getting the correct result.

Posted 1 year ago

Johncoltrane

The information given by Xhi is informative. I tried it really works. I used AutoHotkey.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!