The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

dino dell

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by southernempire
  • Latest reply from southernempire
  • Topic Viewed 587 times

southernempire

while helping a friend clean out his garage we came across an old dell laptop from what seems like a zillion years ago. don't remember the model off hand, but its running a 233mhz Pentium 2 with 64MB of ram, running win98. we wanted to see if we could make it useful again. Ive tried puppy and dsl but neither will boot properly. ( well dsl boots to a screen of white and green, but cant make out much)

is there another lightweight OS i could try or am i missing something trying to install these.

Posted 6 years ago

fastbullet

I think you have something else going on besides the fact that it's an old machine. Assuming that you have also tried to run the installed Win98 OS and it didn't happen, I'm inclined to believe there is a component failure in the machine.

Still, if you want to try another relatively light weight OS, I recenty played with the 8.10 version of Xubuntu and thought it was pretty nifty. It (xubuntu) was designed with hardware anemia in mind and, if there are no cooked hardware components in the box, you might get luck. Heck, you might even like Xubuntu.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

Does it have a floppy drive ?
and USB ports ?

Posted 6 years ago

southernempire

it does run the win98 os fine, no hardware problems as far as i can tell. i was worried about running an out dated os and was looking in to linux. i love ubuntu so i think i will give xubuntu a try.
it does have a floppy i could put back into it and i dont recall if it has any usb ports

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.