How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Different Firefox Profiles in Ubuntu

(2 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by BobJam
  • Latest reply from pilgrim
  • Topic Viewed 3346 times

BobJam
BobJam

This is informational, not a question. As such, maybe it should be a Wiki article . . . I don't know. Mods, please advise.

Was looking at the Geek's article on creating multiple FireFox profiles here, and I noticed that there was no detail on how to bring up the profile manager nor how to create a shortcut for the additional profile in Linux . . . just detail and screenshots for Windows (since Windows is much more widely used than Linux).

The terminal command to bring up the profile manager in Linux is significantly nuanced and not what most advice suggests.

Most suggestions to get the profile manager dialog in Linux(Ubuntu) call for "firefox -ProfileManager" in the terminal command line (similar to the Windows "run" entry or the "Command" prompt). Some suggest "firefox -a asdf", and yet some call for "firefox -a asdf &". The reason for all the variations is twofold. Different distros use different commands for this, and this particular call for the FireFox profile manager in Ubuntu has always been buggy.

None of the above commands worked on my Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty distro. The one that DOES work is "firefox -ProfileManager -no-remote" . . . similar to the Geek's article and the Windows command, BTW . . . but you do need to type it in EXACTLY, with those dashes too. Ubuntu is sensitive to not only syntax but also upper and lower case.

Now you need to create a "launcher", either on the GNOME desktop or in the menu. A "launcher" is Ubuntu's version of a shortcut.

To do that, the command you enter in Ubuntu's launcher/shortcut DIALOG (as opposed to the terminal) is "firefox -P <profile name>". For example, my clean profile is "test". So, to launch the "test" profile, and run it at the same time as I run my regular profile, I would enter "firefox -P test" as the shortcut/launcher command.

Again, the FireFox command can be either inserted into an added menu item dialog, or into a desktop shortcut (launcher) dialog. For the desktop shortcut dialog, simply right click anywhere on the blank part of the desktop and click on "Create launcher", or open up the menu editor by right clicking "Applications" (typically on the top panel), and then go to the menu you want to add it to (or create a new menu . . . click on "New Menu" to make one), and then click on "New Item".

Screenshots can go along with this, so either the Geek can edit that article or make a new one, or I can make a Wiki out of this. Your call, Mods.

Posted 5 years ago

pilgrim

I am using Ubuntu 10.10. None of the above statements worked for me either until I added "sudo" to the statement. Then firefox profile manager came right up. "sudo firefox -ProfileManager -no-remote" .

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.