The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Different Account problems

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LEECAD
  • Latest reply from scorpion99
  • Topic Viewed 529 times

LEECAD

My wife and I have a COMPAQ computer with Vista on it. There are four accounts and two of them are ours. One for me and one for her.
When I go on my account, I just more or less do CAD and a few other things. She goes on the Internet and plays games and what not.
With my account, i rarely have any problems, but with hers, it always seems to freeze up. Then it wont click on anything and you have to do a manual shutdown.

What could be causing this between the two accounts. One works Ok, and the other gives problems. I dont think it would be any kind of vurus because wouldnt that affect the whole computer and not just one account???????

Any help would REALLY help

Thank You.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

It's quite possible for malware (not necessarily viruses) to affect one account and not another as different programs and settings will load with different users. The first thing to do is download a free program called CCleaner (you can get it from numerous places, but I would suggest Filehippo). This has a number of useful functions, firstly, on your wife's account run the 'Cleaner' section to get rid of unwanted temporary files etc. - these build up doing web browsing and can slow down your machine, then click on the 'Tools' section and select 'startup'. Go down the list of programs that start when the system starts and compare them to the ones that start when you log into your account - you will find she has a lot more things starting, and the majority of them can be deleted or disabled using CCleaner. Once you've done that, see if things have improved.

If not then you may have some malware actually running in the background, so download and run Malwarebytes (again, available from Filehippo). It is a shareware program but the basic scanner is free to use - make sure you remove the tick from the 'trial version' option during installation. Do a quick scan and remove anything that it finds (don't do a full scan immediately as I have had instances where this can cause damage if the wrong files are removed).

Posted 1 year ago

LEECAD

I have installed both Malware, Super anit-spyware, and CCcleaner. All of these and I removed everything that was on there. Still it seems she has problems with her account and I have none with mine. When I did the scan on anti Spyware I found over 1600 issues. I forget how many were on Malware.
What it is sometimes is when you go to point to something or click on it and it highlights. If nothing happens and it does not light up to tell you to click on it, she gets inpatient. As where I am a little more patient, and will wait till it does hightlight to click.

I need to run the Crystal disc program from the article to see if the hard drive is failing on it to see if that is a issue.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

You could always go the easy route and create a new user account then copy her files from the old account to the new one.
Of course this won't help you figure out what goes wrong, but it's an option.

Posted 1 year ago

LEECAD

Stupid Question. I did the scans with the Malware and Suoer Antispyware. Do I need to do those on the account I am having problems with? I did them on the one I have, but not on the one she is having problems with.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Not a stupid question but yes, you need to scan the account that is having the problems as they won't be in your startup files, but they may be in hers - CCleaner especially needs running & the 'startup' section going through on her account.

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99

perhaps she might have a corrupted profile , create a new account for her and move all her files and let work , and see if it is better or no.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.