Did I cook my processor?

(17 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by DrTheBoB
  • Latest reply from Budohorseman
  • Topic Viewed 1115 times

DrTheBoB
DrTheBoB

Hi guys

Saturday morning, this past weekend, I dropped a new heatsink/fan in my computer (a Zalman CNPS9500 LED) as I've been doing a fair bit of research on overclocking over the past little while, and have decided that it was time to give it a try.

(just so you know what I'm working with here I've got an MSI K8T Neo FIS2R motherboard, with an Athlon 64 3200+ Processor)

Before I did anything, I run some tests and had discovered that the CPU was running around 68C without load... and under a load (using Super Pi) it got up to 96C, which was my big motivator to get some improved cooling in there. So, like I was saying when I woke up on Saturday morning I installed the HSF, and everything was working GREAT! The Zamlan kept everything all kinds of cool... without load I was around 38C, and when it was loaded down it got up to 40C.

Then Sunday, seeing how smooth everything was running I figured I'd take a crack at the BIOS and try for the overclock.
I went with a 5% increase to start with. I figured that with this new HSF heat would be an issue considering how much cooler it was running than it was previously.
Everything started just fine, so I went over to my XboX and played around on that for a bit while I left my computer running just to see how stable it was going to be... and well, after a bit I came back to my computer to find it not working... all the fans were still running and the case-lights were on... it just wasn't doing anything.

Seeing this as a problem, I shut it down, unplugged the power supply, left it for the night and went back to it this morning before work.

When I turned it on, once again all the case lights and fans came to life. But that is it.
There were no tell-tale beeps of a computer starting up and the HD and power lights on the front of my case didn't come on...

What's going through the back of my mind is that I don't know how long it was running as hot as it was, but I'm thinking that might have had something to do with it... then the extra juice I put through it for the OC was the straw that broke the camel's back... Does that sound feasible? or does this sound like it might be something else?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Could be. Also you may have heat cracked a track, or desoldered a joint (normally under or close to the chip mount)
Does an LED light up on the m/b?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Looks like you cooked something. Overclocking a processor that runs hot in the first place was not such a great idea to start with. Looks like you may need a new processor. For overclocking the 3200+ check this http://www.xbitlabs.com/articl.....tml#sect1. For a constant eye on the temp get this program, minimize it and it will show the temp in the system tray at all times. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Posted 6 years ago

DrTheBoB
DrTheBoB

Thanks for the fast answer Lighthouse! :)
(I wasn't honeslty expecting to see anything until I got in to work tomorrow)

EEsh... I don't like where this might be going... I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to pull my board out again. ;)

Now, wouldn't it have ben more likely for something like a desoldering to happen during the extreme temps I was running at before with the old HSF?

As for the cracked track, is that something I would be able to see? and if so, can I do something about it or is it more of a "just hope that isn't it"?

Posted 6 years ago

DrTheBoB
DrTheBoB

Wow, another one! :)
Thanks for pitching in whs!

I was thinking about going for a new processor once I got the OC figured out using this one.

I really I didn't think that any heat was going to be an issue at this point as I was running that much cooler, and I figured that the 5% I opted for was a nice conservative number compared to some of the oterh numbers I saw people were getting up to. (I guess not eh?)

Thanks for the article, I hadn't seen that one.
And I'll check out that program once I get that machine of mine back on its feet.

So, if I do end up having to go the route of getting a new processor (without having to swap out the board) can you make any reccomendations? (The main purpose for my rig is gaming and managing my downloads).

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

well, for gaming I would opt for a 4800+ (runs real cool) if it's compatible with your board.

Posted 6 years ago

DrTheBoB
DrTheBoB

Unfortunately my board is a S754 ... and I'm having a devil of a time trying to track down a NEW Processor. :(

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

ya, I guess. That's pretty "old" stuff.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Sorry for the delay DrTheBob. I'm hoping your puce died in a quiet, heat induced sleep, rather than going SupaNova. In which case your m/b should be OK

Posted 6 years ago

DrTheBoB
DrTheBoB

As I was in the same room with it when it went I'm thinking it was probably the quiter option... I don't remember hearing anything explode. But maybe due to the concussive force of the explosion rendering me unconcious for a little while?

Some years back I lost a power supply... there was bang, some smoke, and a smell of melted plastic in the air... and strangely my computer didn't work after that happened either ;) Happily there wasn't anything like that this time around.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Here are some sites that seem to sell 3200's: => see Edit below

AMD Athlon xp 3200
Buy Athlon xp 3200 Processors
Get Power and Performance for less!
www.memory4less.com

AMD Athlon 64 CPU Deals
Shop for 3200+ CPUs at Newegg.
Our Mind Blowing Deals won't last!
www.Newegg.com

Amd 3200
Looking for Amd 3200?
Buy direct from sellers and save.
www.eBay.com

AMD Athlon 64 Venice Core
AMD 3800+ 2.4GHz ADA3800BPBOX &
90nm 3000+, 3200+, 3700+ in Stock
www.Atacom.com

amd 3200 $29
Compare & Save on Processors
$29 - $82 at 20 stores
winbuyer.com

Amd 3200
We Have 9,000+ Computers & More
Amd 3200 on Sale. Read Reviews!
www.NexTag.com/Computers

3200 Amd
3200 Amd Online.
Shop Target.com.
www.Target.com

Edit: bbPress seems to have messed up the links. Better type them in or Google AMD 3200+ (right side).

Posted 6 years ago

DrTheBoB
DrTheBoB

Nice one whs!
Much appreciated! :)

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

If it's not too late, I just recently retired my old PC that used that motherboard. One time I did an overclock and ran into a similar situation. There is a jumper on the mobo that can be used to clear out the CMOS and reset the BIOS. If I remember correctly, it's the only jumper on the board, so all you need to do is unplug the PC, move the jumper from it's current position over one pin (there are three pins, so move it from pins 1 & 2 over to 2 & 3), give it a five count then return it to it's original position (very important), plug it in and power it up. If that does not work then odds are you did fry the CPU.

Good luck!!

PS, www.mwave.com also has good prices on processors.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Little tip here. If you plan to try overclocking in the future. Buy 2 chips from the same batch (preferably brothers on the assembly line). Run 1 to destruction (but slowly) and then use the other at -(min)8%

Posted 6 years ago

DrTheBoB
DrTheBoB

@ Budohorseman:It's not too late at all... And here I thought this place was all tapped out of great ideas. :) I know what I'm going to be doing when I get home tonight!

@Lighthouse: Oh good idea... Yeah, I'm not going to let this slow me down at all as far as trying to get my speed up. (my system is starting to fall behind everyone else at the LAN party attend every year). I'm looking at this as a set-back not a discouragement.

Thanks again guys

Posted 6 years ago

DrTheBoB
DrTheBoB

@ Budohorseman: I owe ya one my friend! You just saved me some money. :) Many thanks!

I will say that this has been a bit of an eyeopener for me... before this happened I had no idea that my processor was on its way out... So I guess if there is a silver lining to be found in this it is figuring that out... and start deciding whether it would be worth replacing everything in there over the next little while... should something happen and I end up without a computer again.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

I'm glad that worked out for you, and as they say, timing is everything--I had just joined the forums yesterday! It's always better to be able to take your time to build/buy a new system rather than being forced into getting a new one. I didn't get much overclocking on my AMD 64 either, but so far I have managed to get my new Intel OCed by 25% stable on an air cooled system, so if you are looking into a new system within the next six months or so and you like to OC, Intel is the way to go for now (though we will need to wait and see how the new B3 stepping does on the new AMD Phenom processors). Good luck with your system and your overclocking efforts!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!