The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

"detecting storage devices" problem

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by lucusmarcus
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 5027 times

lucusmarcus

I have an HP pc with recently installed windows 7. A few days ago it stopped booting completely. It now stops on the page that says

"MediaShield ROM BIOS 10.0.0.32 RPT IDP
Copyright (c) 2008 NVIDIA Corp.

Detecting storage devices ..."

It won't ever leave this screen.
I have tried hitting esc for the boot menu when prompted, but it never goes to the boot menu.
I will say "loading boot menu..." but never actually will. Any ideas on what I should do to fix this problem.
Please help. Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I'd try to go into the BIOS and see if it sees anything?

Other possible causes, a bad hard drive or even a BIOS battery gone bad? Could also be loose cables?

Since this is W7 and therefore probably a fairly new computer, if under warranty, I'd check with HP.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

lucusmarcus

I cannot go into the BIOS, when the computer is booted up, it wont let me go to the boot menu. I hit "esc" and it says "loading boot menu" but wont load. It continues to the next screen where it stays. Also it is an updated windows 7 on an HP that i bought a year ago, so no warranty.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

It could be the hard drive? I'd try disconnecting the power and cable and then see if I can get to the BIOS? If you can, re-connect the drive, can't, suspect the drive to be bad. While in there, check ALL connectors to see if any are loose. This sounds like a h/w problem vs. a s/w to me.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

One other thing you can try if it is a laptop is unplug the hdd wait about 10sec then plug it back in and restart. If a desktop then follow Irv's suggestion above.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.