The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Desktop Shortcut icon has changed

(40 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by pepcyg
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 2120 times

pepcyg

For some inexplicable reason my desktop shortcut icon for the 'Command Prompt' has changed. It had been the default
black icon - now it is the usual shortcut icon. I have tried changing it back via its properties - but - it will not change on
the desktop. I have also 'refreshed' the desktop to no avail.
The 'Command Prompt' is not listed under 'Accessories' on the start>all programs menu (isn't it suppose to be there?) so I cannot re-create the shortcut.
How can I get the default 'Command Prompt' desktop shortcut back? Would a System Restore do it? Also where would I find the "Command Prompt" (it isn't listed under either :'Accessories' or 'Administrative')??
I realize this is just a minor inconvenience as opposed to a major problem - but - I use the 'Command Prompt' a lot.
Thank you for all your help.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

What happens when you type cmd in the start menu?

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Should be in System32 folder.

%windir%\system32\cmd.exe

Make sure to remake Shortcuts to Run as Administrator.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

It looks like your iconcache has been corrupted.
That is quite easy to fix :)

You'll have to delete the hidden file IconCache.db.
In Vista it is located at C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\IconCache.db - I think it is the same in 7.
To see hidden files go to the 'Organize' button in explorer > Folder and Search Options > View > Show Hidden Files And Folders.

The second thing you can do is empty the thumbnail cache. To do that run cleanmgr.exe (Disk Cleanup in the startmenu) and make sure 'Thumbnails' is ticked.

Posted 2 years ago

pepcyg

What do I do after I delete the 'hidden file IconCache.db'?
Thank you for your prompt reply.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

After a reboot windows will create a new iconcache and then icons will show up as they are supposed to.

Posted 2 years ago

pepcyg

I tried all of the above suggestions to no avail. When I type 'cmd' the command prompt comes up as usual. I am still
unable to change the ;shortcut icons even with administrative rights, There was no change when i deleted the 'hidden file
IconCache and re-booted -- or - when I emptied the thumbnails.

Any other ideas, please??????? Now, most of the icons are affected.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Run Full AV and Anti-spyware scans just incase you have an infection.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

If I type in cmd in start, cmd.exe comes up. I right click drag it to the desktop release and select shortcut it makes a shortcut with the appropriate black C:\_ icon.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Try the ICO fix from here,
http://www.winhelponline.com/b.....windows-7/

Posted 2 years ago

pepcyg

The ICO fix did not do anything, I am running a full Malware scan now. Would doing a System Restore to an earlier date
do any good?

More ideas please.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If you are running as Build-in Administrator Account and have no malware in the system, then something is really wrong if you can't make short cuts so a Restore to an Earlier Time is order.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Go back to a Restore point if you can. If that doesn't work, I have another idea.

Posted 2 years ago

pepcyg

I tried two different Restore points and got a '0x80070005' with both (I disabled my AV for the second one). What is your
other idea?? Thank you.

Posted 2 years ago

pepcyg

I have also ran 'chkdsk' and 'sfc /scannow'. They did not find any problems, It seems that my icons are there but under
the shortcut icon (not the arrow) - it is a white square with tiny multi-colored sqare dots and a black top banner. Does this
suggest any other ideas?
Thank you for your help.

Posted 2 years ago

ElmerBeFuddled
ElmerBeFuddled

That suggests your icons are corrupted. Its the default "I don't know what it is either" icon.

Re-do your icon cache clearing, immediately followed by the thumbs deletion, immediately followed by a reboot.

Lets rule out the icon corruption .

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

When you go to All Programs\ Accessories do you see your command prompt?
Is the COMMAND.COM file located in your C"\windows\system32 folder?
If the file is there and if you dbl click on it and the command prompt window opens up then you need to copy new shortcuts.
First you need to delete your existing desktop shortcut icon.
The one that shows up in your accessories folder is located in the folder below
C:\Users\your account\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Posted 2 years ago

pepcyg

I redid the icon cache cleaning and the thumbnail deletion to no avail. I do not have 'command prompt' in All Programs\Accessories. There is no COMMAND>COM in the C\windows\system32 folder. What should I do now???
Thank you for your help.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

In windows 7 it is named cmd.exe and it is on C:\windows\system32.

Did you try what I pointed out above?

If I type in cmd in start, cmd.exe comes up. I right click drag it to the desktop release and select shortcut it makes a shortcut with the appropriate black C:\_ icon.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Look here,
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
Right click on it and select Run as Administrator

Also try the LNK, and the EXE fix, from here,
http://www.winhelponline.com/b.....windows-7/

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!