SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Desktop Icons do not respond!

(5 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by myleswest
  • Latest reply from myleswest
  • Topic Viewed 1145 times

myleswest

Hello Everyone,
I am running Windows XP on an older HP Compaq computer
Question: Why would the icons on my desktop suddenly stop opening by the usual double click on them?
Now I have to "right click" and then click on "open" to get it going.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

The first thing I would do is a System Restore to a date prior to this beginning to happen. No personal information will be effected.

System Restore

If you want to do a system restore...

XP: Go to Start->Help and Support. Under Pick a Task click on "Undo changes to your computer with System Restore". Make sure there is a dot in "Restore my computer to an earlier time". Then click Next. Choose a date with a bold number that is before you did what you did. Then click next. Read and click Next again.

Vista , Win 7: There are two places that you can use the system restore feature from. From within Windows, you can just type restore into the Start menu search box, and you'll immediately see System Restore at the top of the start menu or you can type rstrui into the search box and hit enter. Your choice.

Watch it do it.

Posted 2 years ago

mfletch

Does the left double click work on other files

Have you tried another mouse

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Good thought mfletch. You could check your mouse's double click in the Buttons tab of Control Panel -> Mouse.

Posted 2 years ago

myleswest

Problem solved my friends!
I tried lowering the speed of the mouse [it was set on high] and now the problem is solved.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.