How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

dell sx280 won't boot

(21 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by DOGGOD
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 1696 times

DOGGOD
DOGGOD

i have an old sx280, i usually keep it switched on and when i went to it the other day it was on but nothing came up on screen, the screen was in standby.
i reset and it won't boot up, i also thought i heard a clicking, when i press the power button the light on the power button comes on and the fans spin but nothing else.
i thought the hard drive was faulty as i heard the clicking so took it out and tested it and it is perfect.
i no longer hear a clicking sound and have no idea where to go now.
any ideas?

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Still sounds like HDD. Can you try another one in the machine ?

Posted 3 years ago

DOGGOD
DOGGOD

i tried the HDD in the same model machine in a school that i was working at and it booted perfect.

edit, i can't try another drive without dismantling another pc as i have not got any laying around and i would rather not risk harming a decent drive with data on it.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Does it show in the BIOS ?

Posted 3 years ago

DOGGOD
DOGGOD

it does not boot, as i said the only thing that happens is the light on the power button comes on and the fans spin. nothing else happens.

Posted 3 years ago

trup45
trup45

sounds to me that your on board graphics has went out (unless your using a pci/pcie graphic card).
does it give any post beeps? like LH said earlier, does it have the option to go into BIOS?

i would be speculating but, it seems to be graphics

Posted 3 years ago

DOGGOD
DOGGOD

no beeps, no bios, no boot. power button light and fans only. if the on board graphic was dead, wouldn't it still boot?
i have had on board graphics go before on a different machine and it still booted, just no signal to the monitor.

Posted 3 years ago

trup45
trup45

it also could be your cpu, can you take your heat sink off or your cpu fan and feel the cpu while it is on?
if it is not getting hot, then that could be another reason.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

As soon as you startup, keep tapping the F2 key. Does that get you into the BIOS ?

Posted 3 years ago

DOGGOD
DOGGOD

if it was cpu, i should get bios, but as i say, no bios.

Posted 3 years ago

trup45
trup45

well you have bad onboard graphics and unless you can reflow that chipset, get a new board.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Check the monitor connections, and/or a different monitor, and cable.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

After trying trup45's suggestion you might want to remove your ram and boot just to see if you are getting ang beeps. First both sticks if you have more then one. Then if you still get the same response reinstall one stick and see if that helps.
If your CPU is NOT getting warm then you are sort of stuck with the elimination thing.
When you originally found the blank screen and you moved your mouse around did the hdd light come on?
At bootup does your monitor light change from amber to blue?
I would thing even if your hdd was gone you should have gotten some screen message which you didn't.
You may be looking at anyrthing from the mobo, CPU, ram, Graphics.

g-x

Posted 3 years ago

DOGGOD
DOGGOD

the monitor is good, i have already tried the monitor on a different pc, and tried a different monitor on the sx280.
i have tried different cables, checked all connections internal and external.
i know it is an issue the the sx280 itself as it 'does not boot'

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

The BIOS comes before the booting stage. Try g-x's suggestion above.

Posted 3 years ago

DOGGOD
DOGGOD

i did not mention that i tried different ram altogether, even if it was ram i would still get bios.
i am drawn between psu and mb.
i know that these external psu's can appear to be working and for the pc to seem to have failed.
but if the psu is ok it would appear to be mb.
i am no longer working anywhere to tinker swaping bits with a known machine to find the exact problem.
from what i can see it would be cheaper to get another sx280 rather than get the psu and mb.
so looks like this is what i will have to do.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

There are several businesses in UK, that buy up Dells old stock. Might be worth a look.

Posted 3 years ago

DOGGOD
DOGGOD

last year i was working at a school that threw about 40 in a skip, i knew i should have grabbed a few.
there was me thinking i have enough rubbish laying about getting in the way.
the second hand parts are stupid prices.
the cheapest i find still make it cheaper to buy a whole second hand system from ebay.
would not be so bad if i knew for definate the exact problem.
i am in no immediate rush so hopefully something else may come up.
i am toying with the idea of getting a different machine with linux and installing windows over it so i may post another question regarding that if i can't come up with the answers myself.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

No such thing as rubbish when it comes to computers :) (and almost everything else in fact)

Posted 3 years ago

DOGGOD
DOGGOD

next time i will grab a load and send them to you, they can be in your way until any of us need something :)

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!