The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Dell slow to turn on

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by twinklestars
  • Latest reply from twinklestars
  • Topic Viewed 907 times

twinklestars

I have a dell inspiron 531s when I push the on button here latly it takes it 10 to 15 minutes and then it powers on.Some times it cuts on but here lately its a delayed reaction.My light on the on button blue when its on and I have a blinking blue light at the bottom.
This just started about a week ago, all my fans are coming on when ever it turns on.How can i know if it my motherboard problen or switch or power
supply going bad??? Please help i use this computer for my school and dont have funds to buy a new one this computer is only 3 yrs old.Im running windows Vista Please help me!!

Posted 1 year ago

AbbieHue
AbbieHue

Hey I had a similar problem with my laptop. Just format your laptop once and the problem will be solved.My problem was solved just by formatting it.Hope your laptop works fine after that.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

At which point of the boot process is it getting locked for that time? During the "DELL" logo? During the "Microsoft Windows" loading bar? Before or after one of those?

In case the problem is with the "DELL" logo or near that, first make sure you don't have any device connected via USB (or other kind of port) during boot. A friend of mine had a problem where, if her phone was connected via USB to her laptop, the laptop would take 30 min to boot up.

If this does not help you could try to update your BIOS. Go to the manufacturer page for driver downloads and select the last version for the BIOS. For Dell, enter your service tag here, you will find that service tag attached somewhere on your computer:
http://www.dell.com/support/dr.....ctselector

Select your OS and download the latest BIOS version. Please notice that (in my opinion) this kind of BIOS update should not be done unless something is not working properly (as it is with your computer).

Also you could try a static discharge. Power off your machine, unplug from AC, remove the battery, and press repeatedly the power button for 30 seconds. Also repeatedly press all keys on your keyboard. Then put the battery again in place and plug the computer to AC and see if the problem persists.

If problems begin during the "Microsoft Windows" loading bar, then probably running a System Restore or using your recovery partition to restore your computer to factory settings is the best you can do.

Else, if you computer lags during session login, try disabling as many startup programs as you can:
http://www.howtogeek.com/74523.....n-windows/

If you need any more help ask us. If you solve your problem, please reply back with your solution.

Posted 1 year ago

twinklestars

This is a desktop computer and the problem is not the locking up .When I turn on my computer the ON button acts dumb and doesn't want to respond(wont turn on) right at that moment i am trying to turn it on,it delays I'll go out of the room for 10-15 mins and return and my computer is on as if i just turned it on ,when my computer is running it run fine no problem with it, its just when ever I shut it down I dont know if the next time I go to turn it on if its gong to turn on right then or stall and wait 10-15 mins,I have checked the power cords/and my surge protector on other computer and it works so its not the cord.Im hopeing it not a mother board problem and maybe just a bad on button or power supply i just cant pin it down as to what is causing this problem.I did a factory restore last week thinking maybe it was something i installed casuing this but its still same problem.The only thing connected to the computer is my wifi and wireless keyboard and mouse i have tried to turn on with these unplugged and it still takes its time turning on.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Did you try the BIOS update or the static discharge I mentioned? You can also try removing the CMOS battery to reset all BIOS settings. Or else I don't know what may be happening, it could be a motherboard failure as you say, but I don't know what you could do to check that. Good luck with this.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

twinklestars ,

Do you use the Sleep/Hibernate functions, may be worth checking to see if it has been set for this option.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

You are saying when you push the "Power on Button" nothing happens for 10-15 minutes.
The Bios doesn't have anything to do with powering on or off your system.
Does your system power off ok or are you having problems powering off?
When you push the power on button do you hear or can you see if any fans start running?
Do you have a multimeter so you can check output voltage from your power supply?
Have you tried pressing the power button off to make sure your system shuts off?
Does anything happen during those 10-15 minutes?

Posted 1 year ago

twinklestars

GERM-X---- Yes when I push"Power on Button" nothing happens for 10-15 minutes, after the 10-15 minute delay have passed all of a sudden it turns on by it self,When I push the power on button I can hear the fans running,also I took the cover off and saw both fans running.I do not have a multimeter wouldn't know how to use one even if I had one. Yes I can push the power button off and it shuts down the computer in a normal way.Nothing happens during the 10-15 minutes waiting for the computer to turn on its like its dead then comes on.I went ahead an ordered a new power supply as there not real expensive and im going to try this hopefully this will fix things that's the only thing I can think of that would be causing this problem.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!