How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Dell Optiplex GX620 No Video?

(14 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by CompWiz
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 2430 times

CompWiz
CompWiz

This Dell Optiplex GX620 when booted turns on...I see the usual Dell logo and the F2&F12 options...after that just a black blank screen...computer is still on. I have re-seated the RAM cleaned out the slots it has on-board video BTW...any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...thanks in advanced

Edit: I am working(volunteering for school) on two identical PC's with the exact problem.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Do you have any bootable app you can pop in and see if it will boot giving you video, like amybe Partition Wizard, Macrium, etc?
This way you can tell if it's the O/S or maybe some hardware.

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Good Idea...but I don't have a bootable disc at hand at the moment....but I'll try to get a hold of one and give it a shot..Thanks

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Have you tried Safe mode?
Boot to Safe Mode
When you boot up before it starts Windows and after the initial BIOS checks, hit the F8 key several times. The start of Windows is usually accompanied by a single Beep. If normal Windows comes up try, try again. A Black screen with choices should come up, choose Safe Mode.

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Ok, I have a blank CD-R...what can I burn to it so that I could make it bootable to test the PC's video (boot from disc)?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Kaspersky's rescue disk will do among many others. Simply download the iso and burn it to disk. then boot it. However you say you get the initial POST (Power on Self Test) splash screens, so your monitor is ok.

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

@Xhi, I decided to try safe mode and when loading drivers it halts at the "...vgaoem..." on both PC's. I'm sure it's the on-board video...however, I noticed that it's hard to find parts for this model...I even tried dell to see exactly what type of video card it uses but no luck...besides dell only has upgrade parts for this model ($100 bucks and up)....tried newegg, tigerdirect....I could only find some @ discountelectronics.com off of the model but since I'm new to all this I don't want to purchase a video card and end up not fitting....but still looking.

Edit: Dell Optiplex GX620 (mini tower)

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Is it vgamon.fon? What Operating System XP, Vista, Win7? If it is XP a quick Google search leads me to this possible recovery proceedure which I have used successfully several times. How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting. But, you say the identical problem is happening on two computers??

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Yes same exact problem on both PC's...I'm assuming they're both running on WinXP...but the person who owns them just bought them and brought both of them to school for us to fix...It has the XP label in the front but is the way to find out in this state? I have searched google for the video card w/model but I wasn't so lucky...

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

@ CompWiz ,

It does sound more and more like an OS issue, at a local IT centre I frequent they have had problems with Dell PCs failing to load the OS and have had to be re-imaged and Drivers re-installed.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

It cannot hurt to go through the procedure I mentioned above.

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

@GuiltySpark; so if it's the OS then SafeMode will fail to load as well, correct? Even though when I select "SafeMode" and the black screen comes on populating all the drivers and it pauses at the "...vgaoem..." driver? I assume that's the on-board video...and on two identical PC's? I'm no expert but I would think that if ineed it was the OS it would load all the drivers before actually going into safe mode and then give me the black screen...idk...I guess I need to try it with a bootable disc just to double check..

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

What safe mode does is show all the files that are loading and give an indication of where the problem is. When not in safe mode the same files are loading and the screen is stuck at the same place although you don't see the list.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Also safe mode doesn't load all drivers as normal mode does.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.