The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Dell laptop wont boot to Windows 8

(3 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by rogboogie
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 777 times

rogboogie

I tried to upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 the day 8 was released, took a whole day to get it to boot past the Windows logo with the circling dots. Finally got it to work, used it several days with no problems. Now, back to the same problem, it will start only to the Windows logo like it should but then screen just goes blank. I've tried many different things I've found online but nothing works. I figure maybe a driver causing the problem but can't get into anything to check, can't get into safe mode, etc. At the moment it's pretty much worthless. Any suggestions on how to get past the windows screen to check things out?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

rogboogie hi. To be honest, anyone with any sense, would not be trying 8 until they release the SP1. It is a rushed out OS, with so many problems.
I should stick with 7 for now. Not the answer you were looking for I know, but I would not want to see you lose all your data because of an unready OS.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Historically, upgrade installs have been problematic. If you have the option to make a clean, new install, I would recommend that. Make sure you save your data - e.g. with a Linux live CD.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.