The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

dell dimension e510

(33 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jkplaya7
  • Latest reply from jkplaya7
  • Topic Viewed 30102 times

jkplaya7

how do you wipe out the entire hard drive, so the computer will be just like when you first got it. i tried dell customer service but its so bad.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

When you got it, the hard drive was not all wiped out. It had the OS installed (in your case probably Vista) and it had a recovery partition. If you "wipe out" the whole hard drive, you will have nothing - just a blank disk. Is that what you want? A completely inoperable PC.

Posted 6 years ago

jkplaya7

well not wipe up. what i meen is i need to get rid of the spyware i have. i ran multiple programs and followed dells troubleshooting but nothing works. there is a way to reset your computer to factory settings and the computer will be just like when you first started it up.

side note- this cna be done i did it with one of my computers before but things change and i cant figure out how to reset my computer

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

OK, got you. The following is a generic procedure which is about the same for all makes. It might vary slightly for your Dell because that is from Gateway/Emachines:

1. Copy all your own files and folders to an external storage (Disc, USB stick even SD card - 1 GByte capacity should be ample - even 512 MB)
2. Shut the PC off
3. Turn the PC back on and keep hitting the F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Option Screen appears
4. Click "Repair Your Computer" – if you are not already on it, use the up and down arrows to maneuver to it and then press ENTER
5. Next you have to pick your country (I assume US) and click OK
6. On the "System Recovery Options Screen" click "Restore Application" (last option)
7. Follow the on-screen instructions
8. When prompted, click on "Full Factory Recovery"
9. Click "Next"
10. Click "Yes"
11. Go and have a cup of coffee - don't touch anything - for a while it seems like nothing is happening
12. After many minutes, recovery will complete and you click "Finish

Posted 6 years ago

jkplaya7

alright, im good all the way up to the f8 part. when i press f8 the advanced boot option screen appears but these are the choices that show
safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
enable boot logging
enable VGA mode
last known good configuration
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure
start windows normally
reboot
and return to Os choices menu

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Read #4 of my guidelines carefully, the "cursor" is probably already sitting on "Repair your computer" - highligted in white.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Um..whs..XP

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jkplaya7, I am sorry. Lighthouse just alerted me that you are in XP - I missed that. Always forget that XP is still around. All my former saga is for Vista. You will have to use a different procedure. I am sure my XP friends can help you out.

Posted 6 years ago

jkplaya7

its alright, i just need to figure out what option to choose,

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

@Lighthouse, thanks for alerting me. But I am sure you know how this works in XP and can help our young friend out.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I cant get on an XP machine until tomorrow morning!

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

I can try and help in a little while,(1 hour)have a chore to do.Then I can power up my XP machine,and maybe get our friend going.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

I'm back,on my Compaq XP machine,my list shows the same as jk's.Highlight the last option,(Return to OS Choices Menu).Click enter.You will see 2 choices,highlight and enter "Windows Recovery Console".This option will take you back to the state it was from the factory.Make sure you save all the stuff you want to keep,e-mail addresses,pic's,music,etc. to cd-dvd,external HDD,whatever you may have.You will lose everything,I've used this procedure once and it worked out great,I had all my data backed up and saved to a cd.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks Sparky for helping out. I am really a null when it comes to XP but did not want our friend to go without a solution.

Posted 6 years ago

jkplaya7

when i return to OS choices menu and click enter, the page says..

please select the operating system to start:
Windows XP Media Center Edition
use the up and down arrows to move the highlight to your choice.
press ENTER to choose.

for troubleshoting and advanced startup options for windows, press f8

i click enter on windows xp and my computer just starts up normally

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

We are all here to help one another,and hopefully his machine will operate properly.I kind of like my setup,2 machines side by side,1 Vista,1 XP,it makes for easier troubleshooting.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

See the Dell support page Restoring Your Computer's Software to the Factory Settings

It lists the keys to press when booting to restore to the factory configuration.

Edit:
To save time going to that page and clicking a couple buttons, here is a copy of what it says:
Getting Started:
A. Backup all data stored on the system.
B. Except for the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, remove all external peripherals.
C. Using PC Restore in Windows XP or Media Center
1. Turn on the computer.
2. When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold <Ctrl> and then press <F11>. Then, release both keys at the same time.
3. In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press <Tab> to highlight Restore, and then press <Enter>.
4. When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press <Tab> to highlight Confirm and then press <Enter>.
The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.
When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
The system recovery process was successful.
5. Click Finish or press <Tab> to highlight Finish and then press <Enter> to restart the computer.
The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

I don't have media center only media player on mine.On "my computer",double click on it and what does it say under Hard Disk Drives?

Posted 6 years ago

jkplaya7

thank you on that advise sparky. i followed your directions and right now im loading DRMK version 8.00..

Posted 6 years ago

jkplaya7

how long should it take to load everything back up again?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!