How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Dell Dimension 2400

(40 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 3073 times

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Make sure you choose the Home edition bottom of the downloads page.

Posted 2 years ago

nosparks

http://www.dell.com/support/dr.....Code=False

This is the download page for the integrated network card for the 2400 and 2400c. Perhaps it would help to connect the computer to the internet to assist getting the files you need.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Aye, there's the rub, No network driver, no network connection. No network connection, no network driver.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

No probs with downloading them to another computer. And install from a thumbdrive.

Posted 2 years ago

Seasider2
Seasider2

This is a link for the portable version of SIW, which I use, and does not require installation so can be run from a thumbdrive.
http://portableapps.com/apps/u.....w_portable
The current version has to be installed, so do not allow it to update.
Harry

Posted 2 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

I downloaded the version of SIW from the link provided by Seasider2 and I was able to get it to work. It created a lot of information. I saved it in an html file but now I cannot figure out how to attached it to this post to send it to Lighthouse.

Posted 2 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

I just attempted to send an email to Lighthouse with the html file attached.

I sure wish there was a sight that would just let you download drivers like in the old days. This would be a lot easier.

Posted 2 years ago

Tech-No
Tech-No

I download drivers from Dell's site almost daily and do it as you put it "like in the old days". If you are having issues the problem is coming either from trying to download the files on a virus infected computer or you simply are at loss how to do it.
Dell will try to complicate your experience with things but only if you involve them. Downloading drivers from Dell doesn't require signing in or an account of any kind. In fact, their site is one of the easiest of the OEM's to get drivers from.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Got the email, but have guests in the house. Will get on it tomorrow.

Posted 2 years ago

nosparks

LarrySr - are you not able to get to http://www.dell.com/support/dr.....nsion-2400 with what ever computer you are using to post your messages here?

Right click on the link and open in a new tab.

Posted 2 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Nosparks, I can get to Dell as I stated way back on page 1 of this post. I can download from Dell to this computer; however want I get from Dell requires the PC that I want to install the driver on to be connected to the internet. When I put the downloaded file from Dell on the pc that needs the drivers the first thing it does is attempt to go to the internet. I have explained all this in earlier post and I think Lighthouse understands my problem. I think Lighthouse is going to download the drivers and email them to me. Thanks anyway.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Have put the drivers, here,
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=89aae340409e9dd4&sa=832951852#
File R106456 in Public.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

nosparks

LH - those drivers all appear to be off the Dell page suggested to the OP near the beginning of this topic and OP says

"however want I get from Dell requires the PC that I want to install the driver on to be connected to the internet. When I put the downloaded file from Dell on the pc that needs the drivers the first thing it does is attempt to go to the internet."

OP's response will be interesting.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

PC should have come with a DRIVERS disc, can be installed from that, no Internet needed. Don't have it, call Dell.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

@nosparks. The files Lighthouse posted/uploaded, when unzipped, are .exe. Internet connection is not required to install

Posted 2 years ago

nosparks

@ Irv S. - good luck with that, like the OP says in the very first post it's an old Dell Dimension 2400 he was given, that's got to maybe be 10 years old.

@ vistamike - had you read the posts in this topic you would realize it's the OP that says he can't install these driver's because they make the computer want to connect to Dell. I find this difficult to understand if not impossible, that's why I look forward to the OP's results with what LH has supplied.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

I invoked an install on my Toshiba, no problems!
BTW LH, is the Dell guru here

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You can install them from a thumbdrive. Standalone installers, no net connection needed.

Posted 2 years ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Lighthouse; I thank you very much for your patience and extensive efforts on my behalf. The drivers have been downloaded and installed. The pc now works great. I have had it on the internet and I downloaded the latest version of Firefox for it. I prefer Firefox over Internet Explorer so I put it on every pc I fix up and give to kids who need pc's for school.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

That's great to hear :)

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.