The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Dell Dimension 2400

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tsmith777
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 593 times

tsmith777

I am trying to help my sister in Ohio fix her (very old approx. 10 years) Dell. Everything is very very, slow. I ran SAS Malwaelwarebytes and defraggler and there was no spyware or viruses. But I saw that the CPU was running at 80% most all the time and I don't see any reason for that. The computer has a 34gig hard drive, 51% free and 1 gig or ram it was working okay for a long time but now it is slow as molasses, not only on the Internet but any application I opem. I am using Teamviewer to work on it. She is using XP Home OS. Any ideas other than buying a new one?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Use Task Manager, Processes Tab sorted by CPU usage to try to see what program is hogging the CPU.
Check and reduce to a bare minimum any Startup Programs. (Run msconfig or CCleaner tools startup)
Best reload the Operating System fresh.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Oren, thanks I checked the CPU usage and nothing was using an extrodinary amount, I ran msconfig and the only start up items were MSE and SAS, I forgot to say that I did use Ccleaner. She has the original Windows re-installation disc, however that will not work because SP 3 is installed and she has a SP2 disc

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

You can use the SP2 disk to do a clean install and then update to SP3. Back up data of course. Reinstall only those programs she uses.

But if the CPU is running 80% as you say then something i n the CPU sorted list should show up. If not try Process Explorer for more information about what it going on.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

This sounds stupid, but I forgot how to get to the CPU, old age. btw this the same computer you save last year when she had that horrible virus. If I do a clean install, I don't believe Teamviewer will work and she will be left with no computer then.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Make sure Show processes for all users is checked at the bottom.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Okay, it show CPU usage at 81%-85% all users is checked, Teamviewer is using the most resources

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

System idle is using between 17-21% all others are between 0-5%

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Kill Teamviewer and see if it helps.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.