How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Dell Dimension 2400

(40 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 3073 times

LarrySr
LarrySr

I was given an old Dell Dimension 2400 computer that had a bad hard drive. I put another hard drive in it and installed Windows XP. It installed and is now running but it is running with all generic drivers. I need to find a web site that will let me download all the drivers for this computer for free and does not force you to take along other software with it. I don't want any trial software, driver loader software, etc. I just want the Dell drivers for the Dimension 2400. I know how to install drivers and I am not interested in any other third party software. Several years ago I could get driver from a site called DriverGuide.com but they now force you to download there driver install software and use it. I will not do this so. Does anyone know of a truly free and safe site to download drivers from. Dell is not the answer.

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

You want the Dell drivers but Dell is not the answer? So you don't want to go to the Dell site to download the drivers but you want the Dell drivers? Am I reading that right?

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

You are reading that correctly. If you go to the Dell site they want you to enter some key code from the original software install and all I have is the Dell hardware. This system did not come with any Dell provided information. Dell offers to inspect the pc and find the information but that is not possible because the pc is not capable of going to the internet the way it current sits. I need the basic Dell hardware drivers. Dell will sell you CD's and mail them to you but the cost far out ways the value of the pc. I am attempting to get it running so I can give it to a young person who has no computer to help them with the school work. A few years ago you could find hardware drivers on the internet and download them free. I am sure they are out there but I haven't done this in a couple of years and I don't know the free sites anymore.

Posted 1 year ago

nosparks

LarrySr, might this be the page at Dell you are looking for?
http://www.dell.com/support/dr.....nsion-2400

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

If you have another computer connected to the internet you should be able to enter the service tag on the Dell on their website and get the specific drivers for it. Really, you could just download the network driver to a flashdrive or CD, install it on the Dell and then use that computer to download the rest of the drivers from Dell's website.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

The Service Tag is just to make your life easier, but you don't have to enter it it order to download drivers. Search by model.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Believe me I have tried everything with Dell. They only want to find a way to charge me for the drivers. There must still be an honest free site on the internet to download the Dell drivers from. Does anyone know of such a site?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Dell do not charge for driver downloads. Please post a link to where you are going.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

I have gone around and around with Dell. They want me to pay to update the maintenance agreement before they will even talk to me. I finally managed to get something to download which i though was a video driver. It turned out to be a Dell application that manages downloads and it need internet access to work. At least that is what it told me when I tried to install it on the Dell pc. At this point the Dell Dimension is not capable of going on the internet and I don't want to put it on the internet anyway. All I want to do is get the Dell drivers for this pc onto a cd so I can install them myself. When I get that done I am going to give the pc to some student in grade school who needs a pc to do homework. What I am asking should not be that difficult. A few years ago I did it all the time but the site I used then has stopped give free downloads unless you give them access to the computer you want to install the drivers on. Has every site gone that route! Isn't there a free site where I can go and download drivers and get the driver files without an application attached that requires an internet connection? If your only answer is Dell then I guess you cannot help me. Thanks anyway.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Again. Please post a link to where you are going.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Here is the link for Dell that I used.

http://www.dell.com/support/dr.....tSelection

They will not let me download just the drivers. They insist that I download a tool that requires internet access to get the drivers. I just want to download the drivers. Again, I do not want to put this pc on the internet at this time I just want the drivers I know how to install drivers.

Posted 1 year ago

nosparks

Larry, at the site you posted, "choose from a list of all Dell products" on the right hand side will take you to what I believe you are looking for. The link I posted earlier.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

No. You don't need that tool, or pay any money.
Tell me the drivers you want, I will download, and email them to you.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Lighthouse; I no i need the video drivers and I am not sure what other drivers I need. Windows XP installed generic video driver which is very minimal in what it can do. It has very low resolution and only 16 colors. I also need the sound drivers, network drivers and I am not sure what else. That is why i was trying to download all the drivers for the Dell Diminsion 2400.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Use this, (free version)
http://www.gtopala.com/
It will tell you exactly what hardware you have in the comp.
Then post that info back here.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Lighthouse, I went to the web address you suggested and downloaded the software. It downloaded a file called setup.exe. I put thin on a flashdrive and tried to run it on the Dimension 2400. It said it came up with a problem and it aborted! Thanks for trying.

Can anyone else please tell me of any sight that will let me download the actual drivers for the Dimension 2400 for free without requiring me to have that computer connected to the internet? There must be a sight somewhere they existed a few years ago.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.dell.com/support/tr.....n/19/Index Have you tried here? Click on drivers and downloads.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

SIW needs to be installed on the Dell. Be careful it does not try to install anything else.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

I went to the site you gave me. It talked about SIW. I clicked download. What I got was a file called Setup.exe. I copied that file to a directory on the C drive of the Dell Dimension 2400. I clicked on it and it started to run. The first thing it displayed was a blank page that said step 1 and there was a button to continue. I clicked that button. The program came up was an error telling me that Internet Explorer could not display the page and it said it needed internet access. This is becoming a comical sketch like the old Abbott & Costello "Whos on first". Everything you give me to try wants internet access. If you could just download the drivers for the video and Ethernet support and email those to me maybe I could put the Dimension 2400 on the internet and get everything else myself.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I think you clicked on the wrong thing. It should be "siw-setup.exe".

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!