The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Dell Dilemma!

(4 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by dochaun
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 418 times

dochaun

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 (AMD dual core 5600+ @ 2.8 ghz). The original operating system is Vista 32 bit on a partition. I had a bad crash to where I could not even boot up Windows. I used my XP pro OS to get an operating system back into it. However, the wife wants her Vista back in it. I accessed the Recovery partition on the HD under windows, I found the file PCRestore in the Tools folder and it brings up the Dell Factory Image Restore screen, but when I click on it, it halts and says ERROR. - Any way of accessing this software and restoring the original Vista to this computer. It did not come with disks. Also, is there anyway of getting the disc??? Help me please, before my wife Maims me.

Thank you!!!

Posted 3 years ago

SarahJames

Hi dochaun,

Welcome to HTG :)
You can contact Dell for the disc. They will send you one for something like €5,- (shippingcosts, nothing more).
I can't help you with the error (someone else might), but to make sure you can get your system back up and running in no time next time, use Macrium Reflect to make an image when your system is running smooth.
It's no help now, but will save you the stress in the future :)

Posted 3 years ago

nt0xik8ed

Dell Inspiron 531 should have a factory restore. Reboot and at the dell boot screen start tapping f8, "repair my computer" will show up and proceed to "restore to factory settings"

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x

You need to boot as nt0xik8ed, stated to run your recovery image as it won't run from windows
If you don't luck out with that then download this partition utility > burn to a Cd > then boot and look at your partitions. You should see both "C" and "D" plus you should have a 100mb partition with your Vista boot loader.
http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html
The free version is near center page and is the home edition.

g-x

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.