The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Dell 8500 Win 7

(25 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tsmith777
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 779 times

tsmith777

Hi, Guys, I cannot run chkdsk c:/r /f, I select restart and restart the computer and get a black screen with small dashes across the top of the monitor and it just sits there and will do nothing. I have to power down and select f8 and then Last known good configeration and it starts and runs normall, if I select repair your computer it does the same thing, only the Black screen. any ideas? Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Schedule the chkdsk for the next reboot.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

whs, that is what I did and then I rebooted, here is the sequence, I entered chkdk c:/r /f, hit enter and selected y for yes to run chkdsk the next time the system restarts and then I restarted the computer and got the results above

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I wonder if I should re-install windows upgrade? I would have to re-install about 90 updates if I do. I don't know if it would even work now that it won't run chkdsk.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Windows Upgrade ???

That machine ships with Windows 7 on the the Restore partition.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I have the win 7 re-installation disc that Dell sent me, you can either upgrade or do a clean install with it

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Upgrade from what edition to what ??

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

win 7 to win 7, I am trying to fix the chkdsk c:/r /f problem it will not run and locks up my computer

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Just do the Clean install.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I don't want to lose my programs and files that is why I was suggesting the Upgrade

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Upgrade to what ??

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

win 7 home premium to win 7 home premium, on the disc that's what they call it, An Upgrade

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Irv is the only other one on the forum that has a Dell 8500 that I know of.

May be he will see this posting and can help out better than I can.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Okay, Thanks Rick

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

For starters, make an image of your disk so that you don't lose your stuff.

1. Download this WinPE iso for Macrium from my skydrive and burn it to a CD (e.g. with ImgBurn).

2. Here is a tutorial on how to deal with Macrium. It works the same from the CD as from the installed program.

3. Boot with the CD you burnt and take an image to an external drive.

4. Reinstall with your Dell disc - or an upgrade install.

5. If you lost anything in the process, install free Macrium (see tutorial for link). Then you can mount the image you took by double clicking on the image file. It will show in Computer as partition(s) which you can open like any other partition and pick your data.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

The problem is with that; one has to reinstall all the programs again HOWEVER, it does save important Pictures, Documents, etc..

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, I know. I hope he can do an 'upgrade install'. But it is better to be safe than sorry. Even the upgrade install can screw things up. Then it is comforting if you have the image.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

WHS,

Could you please post your Complete Imaging Tutorial in the HTG Tutorial Section ??

I always need a reference to it by link so I can put it at the top before giving further instructions to OPs.

I needed it awhile ago when an OP wanted to change machine configuration to a raid 1 array.

Your Tutorial really is helpful so we all don't have to "plow the same ground twice" with every OP. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, I would not mind posting my tutorials on the HTG tutorial section (I have about 35) - I do that at times on other forums too. But on HTG there are absolutely no facilities to do that in a reasonable fashion. You cannot even upload pictures to the server not to speak about a complete editor. Nor can I post a video. It's just not in the cards.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

OK, give me the Link to the other forum and will book mark it

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!