(69 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tsmith777
  • Latest reply from tsmith777
  • Topic Viewed 3373 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

Reference is from:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

1.Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer and boot the system.

2.When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.

3.Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.

4.Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.

5.You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.

6.Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard drive. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7.Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Another Reference:
http://www.ehow.com/how_480486.....ssing.html

1. Locate your Windows XP/2000 installation disc and place it in your CD/DVD ROM drive. If you don't have this disk, then you cannot proceed further.

2. Restart your computer.

3. When the computer restarts press any key on your keyboard when you are prompted, "Press any key to enter setup." Most computers are configured to boot to another device other than a hard drive. Since the Windows XP/2000 installation disk is bootable, you should see the prompt. However, if you don't see the prompt you may need to change your boot priority in your BIOS. To do so, enter the system BIOS by following the onscreen instructions upon startup. Then navigate to the Boot Priority menu and modify another device, such as a CD-ROM to boot prior to the hard drive. Then reboot your computer.

4. After you have pressed any key, the Windows XP/2000 setup screen will appear. After loading, press the "R" key to repair the Windows installation. The screen will appear black. The computer requests which installation you would like to log in. Generally speaking, press "1" and "Enter." If you have more than one hard drive or more than one partition, the procedure may be different. You must know which hard drive or partition your Windows operating system is installed in. You are subsequently prompted for a password. If you haven't set up one up, you can just leave the query blank and press "Enter." The phrase "c:\WINDOWS>" and a blinking cursor subsequently appear.

5. Type "copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\windows" (without quotes), where "D" is the letter of your CD/DVD ROM drive (your optical drive may be different, especially if you have more than one). Eject the CD from the drive and type "Exit" (without quotes) to restart your computer. The NTLDR file will be copied from the installation disc to your hard drive.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

When I get to enter password, it will not accept my password that I use for everything

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

When I set up this computer I did not enter an administrator password

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Then leave the Password Blank and press Enter Key.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

When I leave it blank it says password is not valid, I do that three times and it says an invalid password has been entered 3 times, to restart your computer press enter. It does that with no password or my password that I use all the time.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Without the correct password, we are pretty well stuck.

It should be the password which you were using back in Aug when you made the backup.

Back then, did you have the Real Administrator Account Enabled ??

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Back in August I was using the same password I always use but I know I did not password protect the backup or the recovery. There would be nor reason for me to do that. As far as the real administrator account enabled, i don't even know what that is.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I am at the screen now that has three options, set up windows now, press enter, to repair a windows xp installation using recovery console press r, and to quit press f3. Can I try setting up windows XP now?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If you setup the PC over the top of the existing installation, you will need the drivers as you did last night.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/.....covery.htm
Make Ophcrack and get the password.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I am wondering when I did the backup in august was the operating system backed up along with windows XP installation?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Did you have Two partitions on the hard drive ??

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I think I did, and when I selected 1 during the repair , thats when I got the password problem, so I did it again and selected 2 instead of 1 and it said not valid, so I don't know

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I am using my Laptop, with win 7 a toshiba now, can I get ophcrack on this computer and use it on the XP machine?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Reference Site:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/.....covery.htm

You should be able to download Ophcrack and make a Bootable CD to run on the XP machine.

The Ophcrack Windows password cracker is by far the best free Windows password recovery tool available. It's fast and easy enough for a first time Windows password cracker with a basic knowledge of Windows.

With Ophcrack, you don't need any access to Windows to be able to recover your lost passwords. Simply visit the site, download the free ISO image, burn it to a CD and boot from the CD. The Ophcrack program starts, locates the Windows user accounts, and proceeds to recover (crack) the passwords - all automatically.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Ok, I'll do that right now, Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Ok, I have the Ophcrack downloaded and on my desktop. I also have ImgBurn on my desktop, do I run Ophcrack first or burn it to ImgBurn first? Do I just drag the Ophcrack icon to ImgBurn if so which do I select on ImgBurn, Write Image file to disc, write files/folders to disc, create image file from disc or create image file from files/folders. sorry, I just want to get this correct

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Burning an ISO Image
Follow this tutorial.
http://neosmart.net/wiki/displ.....th+ImgBurn

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Rick, I followed the tutorial and it said to select write image file to disc and then use the browse function, I did that and selected desktop because thats where ophcrack is, but ophcrack does not appear under desktop in ImgBurn, what I doing wrong?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Browse in the Download Folder.

Reboot your machine and browse some more.

THANKS !!! GS :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.