The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

deletions

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by 0zSpitt
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 1003 times

0zSpitt

if something in ubuntu is deleted, is it really? or, like windows, does it just go somewhere else?

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Depends on where you deleted it... there's a trash can in Ubuntu if you delete from the UI, same as windows.

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

if i empty the recycle bin will it be permanently deleted? i wanted to do my online banking and personal finance type things on ubuntu and just in case it gets hacked i don't want everything out there.

i hooked up a linksys internal antenna and was highly impressed by ubuntu picking up my signal. im almost ready to ditch windows soon...

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

If you empty the recycle bin those files will be deleted, of course... but if you want "secure" deletion I think there are utilities for that for linux.

Your best bet is to create a TrueCrypt folder and store your Firefox password as well as personal finance information inside of that.

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

i was hoping trucrypt would work on it. what browser offers the best security on linux? what, if any, security should i add or practice?

also, i have a dell 1505 notebook. i installed ubuntu on and spent the last 4 hours trying to get dells wireless to work. just when i was about to reinstall windows i found ndiswrapper in synaptics manager. instantly it picked up my network. now i have a wireless desktop (i built) and my notebook. i'm really thinking i'm something about now...

i ask the same things on ubuntu forums but it takes hours if not a few days to get a answer. i'm starting to feel like "thethinghatwouldn'tleave" now.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

I think that if you just stick with ff you should be fine and I think that you could setup a firewall just for extra protection and ubuntu seems more secure than windows out of the box. Also just use the same amount of caution that you normally would when working with sensetive data

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

but, if i delete something anywhere in ubuntu is it REALLY deleted or moved somewhere else?

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

well if it's deleted from the trash can it's deleted but i'm sure if someone got your hard drive they might be able to recover the data but thats the same with all os'es

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.