SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

[solved] Deleting old addresses in Windows Mail auto complete.

(7 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by mtnpilot
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 8593 times

mtnpilot

Using Windows Mail in Vista with auto complete on. If you put in a wrong address, you can't delete it and it will show up again and again. Does anybody know where these addresses are stored in Vista Premium so they can be deleted permanently?

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

Did you try using the arrow down key, and then hitting the delete key on the auto-complete entry? I just tried it, and it deleted the email when I tested, and didn't come back when I opened a new email.

Posted 7 years ago

mtnpilot

Already tried that and it works for the current msg, but as soon as you start to compose a new msg....it's back

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

If you take a look at this registry key, vista mail seems to write to it every time a mail is sent out.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Recently Used Addresses

Close down vista mail entirely, remove all the entries on the right-hand pane other than the (default) one, and then re-open vista mail. (mine has one called "a" and another called "MRUList".

Let me know if that works for you.

Posted 7 years ago

mtnpilot

You are a genius. That seemed to work. Deleted all but the Default and then tested it. Seems to have removed all the previous auto complete addresses. Still remembers new addresses also. Thanks again.

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

Glad it worked!

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

I posted an article about this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ista-mail/

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.