(Solved) - Deleting Macrium Reflect

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nell
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 1428 times

nell

Good morning folks.
I'm Running Windows XP SP3.
I am trying to delete a file in my Programmes called Macrium. It does not appear in my list in "Add or delete Programmes", and does not appear in my list of progs. in Revo Uninstaller. When I go to "My Computer" and open up Programmes there is a folder for "Macrium", but when I try to delete it a Warning box comes up to say "Cannot delete Reflect Service exe. Access is denied".
Would welcome ideas how to get rid.
Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames

Hi nell,

You probably deleted the uninstaller at some point. Just reinstall Macrium and then it will appear in Revo, so you can uninstall.

And just out of curiosity: why do you want to get rid of Macrium? We all like it very much around here, so I wondered if you had any problems with it or if there is another reason?

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Hi SarahJames, thanks for the reply. Actually the pc was given to me just before Christmas as I had loads of problems with my own, as documented in the forum. It is quite old but good for a spare. I have bought Acronis 2013 but have not installed it yet but noticed in "My Computer" r/click, the reference to Macrium. I think the previous owner had Macrium at some time so I want to get rid of all traces of it prior to installing Acronis. When you say re-install Macrium I guess it must be free, and will have a look on the web site, then will do as you suggest.
Thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Have downloaded Macrium, then deleted it with Revo as suggested, but I still have the Folder "Macrium" in C Programme files, and still have "create a Macrium image of this computer" when I click on My Computer. Seems impossible to get rid of it - gr!!!!!!
On looking on the web, it does seem a good programme and would have probably done well for me rather than spending my hard earned dosh on Acronis.
I thought Revo got rid of anything but not in this case.
Any further thoughts?
Don't what appear simple jobs turn out complicated.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Did you run Revo in 'advanced mode'?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Try this to remove it,
http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Vistamike, no just normal mode.
Lighthouse, will give it a go.
Thanks to both will advise later.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

It is best to revo in advanced mode, takes longer but should uninstall macrium completely

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Right, just caught me in time Vistamike had my fingers going for file hippo. Will download Macrium again, then delete in Advanced mode. If still no joy will go file hippo mode. Good game, good game ,for a Saturday morning.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Yes Brucie :)

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Downloaded Macrium again, and deleted by Advanced, ticked all the additional registry items. Macrium is Still there, in fact this time the entry for Macrium had not been deleted as is normally the case from the list in Revo. So decided to uninstal it again, a message came up to say "Action only valid for products currently installed", i.e. despite being shown as installed in the Revo list.
I'm starting to feel a bit like throwing in the towel on this.
Pass the brandy.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

So now use Unlocker.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Right.

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

:) saw this somewhere..
"If nothing goes Right..go Left ":):)

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Not straight on ?

Posted 1 year ago

nell

You two blokes may be nearer than you think.
Whenever I have used Revo before, it deletes the programme from its list of programmes automatically, but not this time. Having put it down to using the Advanced method which I don't normally do, I tried uninstalling the same programme (Macrium) again, still that bl...dy thing had not been erased. So shut down the computer and went to look for another life. Lo and behold, just opened up the pc and it has disappeared, so I know that on some progs it is necessary to close and re-open the pc, but never had to do it with Revo. May be worth bearing in mind by any of the other wooden tops of the forum (if there are any?), I certainly learn't something so hope someone raises the question sometime maybe I can jump in with an answer.

With regard to deleting the programme file, that has worked with Unlocker, and also in "My Computer" the reference to creating a Macrium image has also gone.
So I am now a really happy bunny (for the time being), and am now going to install my new back up system (Acronis), but wish I had read the forum earlier and may gave opted for a free version.
Thanks to all, have a nice weekend.
Nell

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Always reboot after an uninstall, sorry should have pointed that out!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

I know well that Revo is not perfect, because I know my registry and system inside out. And I can see what gets left behind sometimes. But it is the best we got.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Revo isn't perfect. I've had some problems with it and have reported them, no answer on one.

First, Revo comes in 2 versions, 32 and 64 bit. The 64 bit is Pro and is not free. If running a 64 bit OS, you need that one. Parts of the Registry that are for 64 bit programs can not be read by 32 bit programs, and hence might leave 'parts' around in the 64 bit area.

One bug I have is that I've turned of SYSTEM RESTORE as I have an imaging program running and C: is on an SSD and I don't want unnecessary writes to the drive. Revo reports a FAIL on restore. Answer I got was 'ignore it'.

Second bug is that when some (very few) Application Uninstalls are run, when the Uninstall completes and you press FINISH, Revo goes back to the Application list. Does NOT complete the Advanced part and when the list is shown that app is not there. CCLEANER and REGEDIT of course will find entries (sometimes) for the Program name or Path. No answer from Revo yet other than they will look into it.

I have used other uninstallers, like ADVANCED UNINSTALLER which is FREE and does have a 64 bit capability. It works fine I think, but there are a lot of other 'features' imbedded within it, and that makes me queasy, multi-taskers are OK, but for something like cleaning a Registry I like dedicated programs.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Irv thanks for the headsup on AU, will play with it tomorrow

EDIT: NB; beware the AVG toolbar etc when installing

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.